Opuntia from pads

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Brontosaurus

Opuntia from pads

Post by Brontosaurus »

So my coworker told me when you cultivate Opuntia from pads, you want to put the pad flat on the surface of the soil so that it can grow roots over a larger area. Can anyone corroborate this?
greenknight

Re: Opuntia from pads

Post by greenknight »

Your friend is correct, though planting them upright can also work. I found a page which shows it - https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/root-cactus-pads/

That's how nature plants them - a new plant that has a normal shape will grow from it, and the old pad will eventually shrivel up. If you plant them upright, you have to bury quite a bit of the pad to keep it from flopping over, the new plant won't have a natural shape - but you do need to plant them that way if you're grafting to them.
Spence :mrgreen:
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Brontosaurus wrote:So my coworker told me when you cultivate Opuntia from pads, you want to put the pad flat on the surface of the soil so that it can grow roots over a larger area. Can anyone corroborate this?
I've always put the pad flat and it will send a great amount of roots as well as new plants.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I've always planted them upright. They still grow like weeds. Either way should be fine.