Uprooting question

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ElieEstephane

Uprooting question

Post by ElieEstephane »

So i got this lovely aloe perfoliata as a gift a while back. Now that the weather is getting warmer i'd like to tackle this project. The plant is quite large with more than a couple dozens of offsets. However it is sitting low in a huge pot.
What i'd like to do is cut away the plastic pot, wash away all the clay soil, remove all the offsets and repot the mother plant in a nice terracotta pot.
My question is: is it healthy to uproot and repot such a large plant? Or i'd be better off restarting with the offsets?
Thanks in advance.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Re: Uprooting question

Post by greenknight »

There's no problem with repotting it, go right ahead. Looks like it needs it.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:There's no problem with repotting it, go right ahead. Looks like it needs it.
Thanks!
Would you recommend potting immediately or letting it dry for a day or 2?
I also have a couple of medium echinocactus grusonii also sitting in large pots and clay soil. Can i do the same?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I would let them dry for several days to a week before potting.

Yes, you can do the same with those E, grusonii (if they're in clay soil I'd strongly recommend it. The only barrier to repotting them is when the plants just get too big to handle.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:I would let them dry for several days to a week before potting.

Yes, you can do the same with those E, grusonii (if they're in clay soil I'd strongly recommend it. The only barrier to repotting them is when the plants just get too big to handle.
Thank you very much. You always give the most helpful replies!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I gotta say though, these are some pretty healthy roots for a pure clay soil.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they look very good. E. grusonii is quite tolerant of different soil types, so it's not all that surprising - but it's still better to have a more open-textured, gritty potting mix. Clay is both slow to dry out and slow to take up moisture when it gets dry, it's just not good as a potting soil.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:Yes, they look very good. E. grusonii is quite tolerant of different soil types, so it's not all that surprising - but it's still better to have a more open-textured, gritty potting mix. Clay is both slow to dry out and slow to take up moisture when it gets dry, it's just not good as a potting soil.
They are my only plants in clay. I tend to stay away from organic potting mixes. I use 4 parts crushed volcanic stones to 1 part compost with a bit of sand and top soil and I water with a very week fertilizer solution.
Anyways, thank you for your replies. They are very helpful.