What to di with this?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
daffe

What to di with this?

Post by daffe »

Before I asked in here and was informed that it was corking and not rotten i did cut of the top of one of my cacti, the top is growing fine, but the part that I did believed was rotten is now looking like this. Should i do something or let it grow? Take it off and plant it?

adetheproducer

Re: What to di with this?

Post by adetheproducer »

Let it grow. You can always remove and re-root when it gets bigger, use the stump for clone production.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. You don't have to do anything, but if you want to make a cutting out of it you should wait until it's bigger.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The offset on a plant, using the parents more vigorous root system, will always grow quicker than if you take it off whilst small. Therefore it is always best to let it get to a reasonable size before taking it off, since you will get a bigger new plant quicker. With a Trichocereus like that you could even let it get to 20cm or more tall if you want before removing it,
daffe

Post by daffe »

ok, thanx for info :-)
daffe

Post by daffe »

If i should take it off, cut it or just break it off? Is there any chance that there would be a new on the old cacti

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

If you don't the look of the plant as it is, you can cut off the top part (don't just break it off). Allow the wounds to dry out, and the top part will grow new roots eventually. The bottom part will probably regrow another top part, which you can root as well later on.
7george

Post by 7george »

Aiko wrote:If you don't the look of the plant as it is, you can cut off the top part (don't just break it off). Allow the wounds to dry out, and the top part will grow new roots eventually. The bottom part will probably regrow another top part, which you can root as well later on.
I agree.
The fall is my favorite time to make cuttings. Till the spring in most cases will be some roots and the cactus will be ready for planting. Not a bit of the growing season will be wasted. Just few of them may need more time to decide "to be or not to be".
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8