Cloud cover

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BlackDesert21

Cloud cover

Post by BlackDesert21 »

Where I live (the mountains), we don't have the usual four seasons cycle. Even though it's officially spring we are still having continual storms. How much etiolated growth will clouds cause? I understand the UV rays still get through. It's been warm so we can't keep the plants dormant.
7george

Re: Cloud cover

Post by 7george »

The effect could be different for different species. If the plants are outside under the sky this could cause moderate etiolation or just weaker spines. If plants are inside behind glass or PVC sheets might be worse. In that case I would not water them to hold the growth.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

If the plants are outside in a sunny location, it will probably be a minor or zero effect on growth form, it's likely to be more noticeable on spine thickness, colouration etc.
We can grow most plants in the UK without any etiolatation, I can't imagine anywhere in California will be worse.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
BlackDesert21

Post by BlackDesert21 »

We move the plants outdoors in the mornings and indoors in the evenings, unless there is rain or high winds. The nights are still below freezing but the days are in the 50s-60s (Fahrenheit). Barely any water has been given to the plants since last September. At this point they're only getting enough to keep them from shriveling and (hopefully) to keep the blossoms alive.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Etiolation is not going to be a problem, but watch out for sunburn if it suddenly warms up.
Spence :mrgreen: