Restarting cactus watering...

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BlackDesert21

Restarting cactus watering...

Post by BlackDesert21 »

Hello again. Due to where I live and the poor growing conditions in winter, I am one of those people who does not water AT ALL during the cold months (except if a plant is shriveling). Now that we're finally transitioning to spring, it's time to start watering again, but should they be given the same amount as usual or be gradually re-introduced to it? I ask this because given the amount the pots have dried out I would expect root damage. Does the plant need time to regrow its root system to absorb the summer amount of water?
7george

Re: Restarting cactus watering...

Post by 7george »

When I lived in similar climate and even now I start and end growing season with 1ce/month watering, then once in 2 weeks and then if the weather get hot and plants are not in summer dormancy water them weekly. Also some of the roots can be dead and newly re-potted plants do not use all the soil in the pots. In that case is a good idea to start with partial waterings or sprinkling to wake up these cacti and do the profound watering after you see signs of active growth.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Re: Restarting cactus watering...

Post by greenknight »

I give them all a good watering and then observe the results, if any don't seem to be taking up water well check the roots. How long until the next watering depends on the weather - maybe a month, maybe longer.
Spence :mrgreen: