Seedling watering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ElieEstephane

Seedling watering

Post by ElieEstephane »

So after the woes of removing incredibly resistant peat moss from the roots of store bought cacti and moving them to my mineral mix i decided i had enough. Now im buying very young cacti that come in small 1.5" instead of 4, 5 and 6". Figured i'd have more control from the start.
My question is do these seedlings require more or less watering since their soil dries up fairly quicker than the others. However they wouldnt require much water given their size. Ideas?
Thank you.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Nic

Re: Seedling watering

Post by Nic »

It's all about climate, and since I don't live in Lebanon I am not sure about yours, but usually in summer I let the rain water my cacti for me. If it feels like to much rain, I take them in, but I only water them when it feels right, though I often don't water enough, and my plants, mainly the non cacti succulents don't grow as much as they could.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Nic wrote:It's all about climate, and since I don't live in Lebanon I am not sure about yours, but usually in summer I let the rain water my cacti for me. If it feels like to much rain, I take them in, but I only water them when it feels right, though I often don't water enough, and my plants, mainly the non cacti succulents don't grow as much as they could.
Thanks Nic! I often underwater my plants too. The weather here in lebanon is normal mideterranian weather: Hot and dry and summers, relatively cold and very wet winters but no freezes whatsoever.
I attached a picture to show the pot size. The biggest is 5".
I decided to water seedlings 1 day after they completely dry up.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Depends on the size of the pot relative to the size of the cactus. You've got the right idea, water them when they get dry.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Generally seedlings need more frequent waterings then bigger cacti. Smaller pots dry up faster as well. Sun exposure, humidity of the air humidity are also important. Different species differ by drought tolerance. Once a week for the summer in a hot climate is OK if the pot is not very small. In that case (5 cm or smaller pot) I would rather shade, hide or bury that pot instead of water it 2 or 3 times a week.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Here on the US west coast we can get hot, dry east winds (they call it the Santa Ana wind in California, here we just call it east wind), sucks the moisture out of everything. Sometimes I have to water every day. I do move the plants to where they're shaded during the heat of the day, it doesn't help that much when the humidity is less than 10% and a hot wind is blowing.

I gather there's a similar situation in your region with hot winds blowing out of Egypt.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:Here on the US west coast we can get hot, dry east winds (they call it the Santa Ana wind in California, here we just call it east wind), sucks the moisture out of everything. Sometimes I have to water every day. I do move the plants to where they're shaded during the heat of the day, it doesn't help that much when the humidity is less than 10% and a hot wind is blowing.

I gather there's a similar situation in your region with hot winds blowing out of Egypt.
The hot sandy winds from egypt met up with a cold front from turkey and it was a nightmare. We had pouring rain for a couple of days met with terrible visibility. I hope that doesnt affect the flower buds. The rain was expected though. It's a tradition that no mater how hot the weather is, it must rain on the good friday in lebanon and israel. Kind of superstitious but it happens every single year.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks a lot like the weather we've been having - but here, we're likely to see this off and on for the next month or 2. Beautiful when the sun comes out, but look quick or you might miss it. So far, there's been just one day it was safe to move the cactus plants off the porch to catch more sun. Summer is still a long way off.