Making pumice bits smaller

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
tumamoc

Making pumice bits smaller

Post by tumamoc »

I bought a 1/4-yard of composted mulch and pumice mix. Most of the pumice bits are too large for potted plants (see large pieces in the photo). Any thoughts on an expedient way to crush up the nodules? I've used a sledgehammer, but that takes forever, and it's a big job. I hate for it to go to waste.
rsales3

Re: Making pumice bits smaller

Post by rsales3 »

You could put the large pieces in a heavy duty bag and run it over with your car. Sounds kind of funny but could work. I have not tried it. Could have adverse effects and crush them to powder, but worth a try. Or you could just save the large pieces to line the bottom of your pots. Good luck.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Beg, borrow, or steal a rock crusher from a sandpit, quarry, construction, or equipment rental place.

Or maybe you can just make one yourself. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eKXIoDaLWo
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As I was in the building trade I use my old hand held earth rammer on a flat concrete surface to break down pumice etc, much easier than using a lump or club hammer, and a sledge hammer is overkill! Then I put it through a sieve or riddle (Bonsai riddle off EBAY) of the appropriate size and return the overlarge pieces under the rammer again. Your local builders merchant may stock them. See:-

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/ear ... th-rammer/
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Thanks everybody--all great ideas.
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Blendtec blends, but it won't crush gold ore.

I'll bet one of these would do just fine.

This is only sort of a joke.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I know this is an old thread now, but I thought I'd update it with my solution. I tried running over a bag of pumice with my truck tire. This did not work at all. An 8-inch square handheld tamper crushed the pumice, but it took multiple attempts and was very tiring. Finally, I picked up a hand-crank meat grinder at a second hand store. Success! It definitely broke up the pumice nodules into smaller bits more suitable for cactus medium. It created quite a bit of dust that needed to be sieved out, but overall I was pleased with the results. It's not a quick process, especially if you have lot of pumice (ahem, two trash cans full :!: ) but it's easy to get enough bits for a small-medium size potting project.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You could try and see if the sand sized dust is any good for seed raising if you have a few spare seeds you are not bothered about, or from off your own plants?
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Yeah. Maybe I'll give it a try. I have used sieved calcined clay bits for seedlings with good success. The stuff I buy is used for baseball infields, but they also market it as aquatic plant soil, oil-dri, kitty litter (in some places), etc.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

That sound like Turface.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Yes. Turface MVP. It's cheap! The local irrigation/landacaping supply store sells a 50 lb bag for about $15. The pumice/mulch mix is is even cheaper bought in bulk. It averages about $3.25 per 50 lb.