Can I grow these leaves?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Serrie

Can I grow these leaves?

Post by Serrie »

Went to the botanical gardens yesterday, picked up some leaves that were lying around and thought that maybe I could grow them. I have managed to do this before but that was rather down to luck than really knowing what I was doing.

I know it is not the best photo and I just put them down in a pot with a cactus. The 'wounds' looked dried and healed, should I just put them in some soil and hope for them to grow, do I need to add water already to stimulate root growth or is it better to keep the soil dry?

Thanks!
Serrie

Re: Can I grow these leaves?

Post by Serrie »

Oh just realised I maybe should have placed this under the succulent grow tab, sorry about that :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Possibly if it is succulent enough to root before it shrivels too much. The other looks like a stem section (cladode) of a Christmas Cactus, often mistaken for leaves as with Epiphyllum's which are actually flattened stems (since flowers are never produced from leaves) but that bit should root OK.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The fuzzy one looks like Kalanchoe tomentosa (Panda Plant). They root pretty easily, it will probably grow. I agree with DaveW on the Christmas Cactus (treat it about the same as your Epi).

I'd put each in a small starter pot, and don't water until they have roots - you could mist them lightly, but no more than that. The Kalanchoe should grow roots on about 4 weeks, the Christmas Cactus probably sooner.
Spence :mrgreen:
Serrie

Post by Serrie »

Thank you both!

Yes, the Kalanchoe tomentosa, I liked the orange tips ;)

Hope to see results within some weeks.