Accidentally removed a dying leaf a little too early

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
StarDragon

Accidentally removed a dying leaf a little too early

Post by StarDragon »

I was removing dead leaves from under one of my echeverias, & I accidentally pulled off a half dried leaf. The end half of it was dry, so it appeared to be completely dry. The lower half was a little leathery, & in the process of dying, but the joint still looked a little fresh. I'm concerned that I may have opened a fresh injury straight to the stem, potentially exposing it to bacteria & fungus. Its apparently hard to get in the little area between the lower leaves, right at the soil line, so there is little I could do to try to clean it. Is it going to be alright?
Nic

Re: Accidentally removed a dying leaf a little too early

Post by Nic »

It'll be fine, I have taken fresh leaves off of echeveria all the time, it never hurts them that I can tell
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

OK, so it could get an infection, but it's not very likely.
In the wild, plants need to cope with sustaining damage like being attacked by insects or herbovores, trampled or uprooted. So loss of leaf should be no big deal.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

I thought so, although I know general leaf loss is no big deal. I just didn't think it would hurt to get some second opinions, since it was right at the soil line where more microbes & fungus tend to be. I would have mentioned that I was in the process of watering it, which adds moisture, but I was going to place it outside anyway, where the soil surface will dry faster.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Better to pull it off early than having that leaf rot there. The tissue of the leaf node is adapted for that, it's really not a significant wound.
Spence :mrgreen:
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

Again, I thought so, because as you stated, the leaf node is adapted for that. Thanks