Re-potting time?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
AlanW

Re-potting time?

Post by AlanW »

When is it recommended to repot globe cacti in uk? I purchased some in October & they were planted in commercial peat compost which I would like to get them out of a soon as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
DaveW

Re: Re-potting time?

Post by DaveW »

You can in theory repot at any time of the year as long as the plants don't freeze. Ideally of course you re-pot in the growing season when the plant is showing signs of new growth. If potting in the winter, or out of the growing season, they should be potted in dry soil and not watered again until start of the growing season in Spring.

If you are washing peat off the roots leave the plant dry root to dry off and heal for a few days before repotting into dry soil and then if in the growing season don't water for about a week to let the roots heal from re-potting. Cacti can stand dry for a month or two in cool conditions, but water at the wrong time will rot them.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

This would actually be a very good time - by the time the roots have healed it will be Spring.
Spence :mrgreen:
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Thanks Spence good thinking
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Thanks Dave. I was afraid of damaging the roots when teasing out the old compost but your advice helps. As I am keeping them dry, I was wondering when you would expect them to start growing in this region?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Rebutia's are just showing buds here in Nottingham, so you usually see new spine growth in the crown on many plants within a week or so of starting watering. Obviously repotting will hold the plants back a bit until the roots get going again. Problem with British weather is we water on a nice sunny day then it immediately turns dull again for about a week so they don't dry out very fast. :(
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Thanks Dave. I'm going to start repotting next week
7george

Post by 7george »

I repot all winter, when most of my plants are dry and ~dormant. Repotting during the active season disrupts and slows the growth from my point of view. Keep dry the soil after this operation for some days, week or more depending on the moisture sensitivity and growth habits of the plant.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

I guess it's still pretty cold where you are 7george? Thanks -that's a good idea
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, 7george makes a good point. When I ordered cactus plants online, I did it in Autumn, then potted them up and didn't water until Spring. They did great.
Spence :mrgreen: