Color loss on young ones

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BuenosCactus

Color loss on young ones

Post by BuenosCactus »

Hello everyone, i'm new here and also new on cactus cultivation. I think im posting on the right section... anyway, here i go:

I sowed at least 6 different species on March/April 2016, just when summer was ending (I'm from Argentina by the way. It is now summer here)

I managed to keep alive at least 70 of them, which are now on a big tray (see pictures). As you may see some of them have a beautiful green color, while others look gray. So my biggest concern is on the gray ones. Is it a common thing? should they be greener?

Some details: they do not receive direct sunlight, i water them just when i see the soil is dry... Temperature has varied from 20°C to 30°C

I hope to get some advice since i plan to keep all of them alive!! If i was not clear due to my basic english please tell me so i can try to explain myself better.

Here are the pics:

See you around :D
7george

Re: Color loss on young ones

Post by 7george »

Some of the white or gray ones may be dead. The brown ones are OK - this is species' features. The reason -- fungus due to transplanting damage or overwatering, it's hard to say. You can rise the temp even to 35, they may like it and this helps to fight deceases.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Most look OK. The darker coloured ones are just "sun coloured" and appear to be a different species. You can green them up again by providing a little more shade whilst still small and then gradually accustoming them to more light as they get larger. Most cactus seedlings in the wild germinate in some form of shade and greater humidity until they are large enough to grow out into full sun.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

The Grown From Seed forum may be a more helpful place for you:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

If you'd like to have this thread moved from here to there, contact the Administrator. Not that there's anything wrong with keeping it here, but I think the change over to GFS will get you hooked up with more and better advice on how to keep your seedlings growing properly over time.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
BuenosCactus

Post by BuenosCactus »

Thank you all for your comments, it's been helpful.

I'll check that forum Steve Johnson, thanks.