Help with cactus asap

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Durk

Help with cactus asap

Post by Durk »

I believe my cactus is a Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz'

A few weeks ago my cactus started to rot at the bottom from most likely over watering and new soil that I got to repot the cactus in. I used a sterilized blade to cut a good bit over the rot. I then put some rooting hormone on the cut end and let it sit out for a few days. When I planted the cutting into some desert sand that I have I believe I made a mistake in not watering him. I have since been watering because he is looking wilted at the bottom
I have had this cactus for a long time and would like someone to help me save him please :)

short version:
Should I water my cactus cuttings, how often and what else can I do to get them to grow roots
Also the pieces aren't that big, Will they still root? And what to do about my cuttings wilting?

There are two different cuttings.
Last edited by Durk on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenknight

Re: Help with cactus asap

Post by greenknight »

Stop watering. They can't take up water when they have no roots, all watering might do is cause rot. You can mist them to reduce moisture loss, but don't soak the soil. They can shrink a little and it won't kill them.

I'd pull them out and check to make sure there is no rot. If the medium is wet don't put them back in that, slightly damp is ok. Just keep them in a warm, light place out of direct sun and have patience. A few weeks is not that long, good chance they will still root. Wiggle them periodically to see of they're rooting down, when roots begin to grow gradually mist them more heavily, moisten the medium a bit more. How often depends on how fast it dries out, let it dry in between.

They root pretty easily, but they do it in their own time - you can't rush them.
Spence :mrgreen:
Durk

Post by Durk »

greenknight wrote:Stop watering. They can't take up water when they have no roots, all watering might do is cause rot. You can mist them to reduce moisture loss, but don't soak the soil. They can shrink a little and it won't kill them.

I'd pull them out and check to make sure there is no rot. If the medium is wet don't put them back in that, slightly damp is ok. Just keep them in a warm, light place out of direct sun and have patience. A few weeks is not that long, good chance they will still root. Wiggle them periodically to see of they're rooting down, when roots begin to grow gradually mist them more heavily, moisten the medium a bit more. How often depends on how fast it dries out, let it dry in between.

They root pretty easily, but they do it in their own time - you can't rush them.
If I pull the cactus out wont it reset the rooting process?
Any other way to make sure it doesnt rot?
Durk

Post by Durk »

I will post pictures later when I get a chance.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Pulling them out will have no effect on the rooting process. The only way it could hurt anything would be if they were firmly rooted down and you broke off roots pulling them up, so don't pull them up if they don't come out easily. You could still dump them out to inspect them without harm.

Cactus cuttings will grow roots when not in any medium at all. The first ones I ever grew were some given to me, extra pieces of Mammillaria elongata that had been left on a windowsill until they started growing roots out the bottom side. While roots growing out the side are not ideal, they did fine anyway.

I look forward to seeing the pictures.
teo

Post by teo »

Cactus cuttings will grow roots when not in any medium at all. The first ones I ever grew were some given to me, extra pieces of Mammillaria elongata that had been left on a windowsill until they started growing roots out the bottom side. While roots growing out the side are not ideal, they did fine anyway.
But will they grow roots at the same rate when not in soil, i.e. could it be beneficial to leave them on a bench until the first roots appear. It's easier to see the roots when the cutting is out of soil :-)
7george

Post by 7george »

Don't rush them until the spring. Most cacti can stay without roots and soil half year, esp. winter time.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

teo wrote: But will they grow roots at the same rate when not in soil, i.e. could it be beneficial to leave them on a bench until the first roots appear. It's easier to see the roots when the cutting is out of soil :-)
I doubt it makes any difference, but I've never tested it. It would be an interesting experiment to compare the two methods. The problem with having them root laying on the bench is that roots will always form on whichever side is down, if you want the roots on the end you have to support the cutting in an upright position - and the easiest way to do that is to put it in some rooting medium. Whether in media or laying on the bench you have to pick them up to see if there are roots underneath, so I don't see any advantage to leaving them out. Plus, they bend themselves into a curve when laying on their side trying to get their growth point pointed up.
Durk

Post by Durk »

greenknight wrote:Pulling them out will have no effect on the rooting process. The only way it could hurt anything would be if they were firmly rooted down and you broke off roots pulling them up, so don't pull them up if they don't come out easily. You could still dump them out to inspect them without harm.

I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Here are pictures
There are two different cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

What size are those pots? I think those cuttings are plenty big enough to root, but can't tell exactly how big they are without anything for size comparison.

The plant was etiolated - stretched out from growing in low light. They're weaker because if this, but they should still root. My previous advice still stands - check the bottoms to make sure there's no rot. If there is rot, you can cut it off and start over, they're more than long enough - and the quicker you catch it, the less will be lost.

While you have them pulled up, take another picture.
Durk

Post by Durk »

greenknight wrote:What size are those pots? I think those cuttings are plenty big enough to root, but can't tell exactly how big they are without anything for size comparison.

The plant was etiolated - stretched out from growing in low light. They're weaker because if this, but they should still root. My previous advice still stands - check the bottoms to make sure there's no rot. If there is rot, you can cut it off and start over, they're more than long enough - and the quicker you catch it, the less will be lost.

While you have them pulled up, take another picture.
I dont want to break my cactus or stop the rooting process
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Then there's nothing to do but wait. Most likely they won't root until Spring, until then you can mist lightly but no more than that. Keep watch for rot creeping up from below. When roots grow you'll be able to tell because top growth will start at the same time or soon thereafter.

That's when it gets tricky - you need to gradually increase the watering then, but it's very easy to over-water them when they have just a few roots. It would be easier if they were in very small pots, but those will work if you're really careful.