Mulch as a soil amendment ... opinions?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Mulch as a soil amendment ... opinions?

Post by WayneByerly »

Three years ago, i filled a rectangular wooden frame with a pile of leaves, mostly maple, that I had "mowed" almost to dust, and have not done much with them since, but wet them--so they would rot--and turn them some. The contents have "reduced" themselves to almost one third of their original volume and turned an attractive DARK brown ... almost black. Would any part of this mix of rotting/mulching leaves be of any value in making a soil mixture for cacti or other succulents? Give us ALL your opinions and/or experiences with something like this please.

It's got a few sticks and whole leaves in it that have fallen this fall, but i've a screen that would take care of that quite handily. I REALLY am interested in your opinions. Share them with us all.
PHOTO_20161201_142316[1].jpg
PHOTO_20161201_142316[1].jpg (210.72 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
luigonz

Re: Mulch as a soil amendment ... opinions?

Post by luigonz »

I think this leaf mold compost you have made would work well as the "organic" part in your cactus soil mix. depending on your growing conditions and what type of succulents you are growing the ratio could be adjusted accordingly. Looks like nice rich compost.
'The skeletons of the plants are for me as important as the flowers.'
instagram: @oakbeard
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Leaf mold is an excellent soil amendment, yes.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Probably would be good for epiphytic cacti.