Overwintering a small collection.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BlackDesert21

Overwintering a small collection.

Post by BlackDesert21 »

Hello again.

My plants were last watered on October 11. Heading into winter, I have no plans to water them unless they start looking shriveled. The room they're being kept in will make a great collection fridge, but it's not that cold in the day yet. It goes down into the high 40s at night but in the day gets up to 70. Since it's sunny, I've been taking the collection outside in the daytime rather than have them in the 70 degree room without light. Are there going to be disfiguring consequences for having them out in the sun (mostly mid-high 60s) without getting watered?

I understand that cold triggers dormancy, and with an indoor high of 70 in that room, I'm guessing it's better for them to be where there's more light. They already had a pretty bad October because the clouds came early. No visible consequences yet (that I can tell at least), but I don't want to add more problems on top of whatever might already threaten their shape.
cactushobbyman

Re: Overwintering a small collection.

Post by cactushobbyman »

If you can rotate the plants all winter without too much effort, that is fine. It's starting to rain in Northern California more often and if the temps drop close to freezing, you don't want wet plants. If your area has a mild winter, i.e. "The Bay Area," leave them outside and protect from the rain. If your plants are well established, they could go all winter without water, but if kept warm and inside, you may want to give just a little water once a month. Less is best during the winter. :)
BlackDesert21

Post by BlackDesert21 »

cactushobbyman wrote:If you can rotate the plants all winter without too much effort, that is fine. It's starting to rain in Northern California more often and if the temps drop close to freezing, you don't want wet plants. If your area has a mild winter, i.e. "The Bay Area," leave them outside and protect from the rain. If your plants are well established, they could go all winter without water, but if kept warm and inside, you may want to give just a little water once a month. Less is best during the winter. :)
I don't let them get rained on. If there are clouds, they are inside. My question is: is it alright to have plants at 70 degrees without water, or will that cause disfigured growth?
7george

Post by 7george »

Night lows will not allow them to grow in winter period. Disfigured growth could be expected from high temps at low light and not from keeping those dry.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8