need advice about watering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Lucy_V

need advice about watering

Post by Lucy_V »

Hi, I live in California and have my cacti collection outdoor (in pots, not directly in the soil). At the end of October it is still warm enough during the day and my plants look dry and unhappy if I don't water them at least weekly. Should I reduce watering to once in 2 weeks/once in 3 weeks even in the warm conditions to let them "rest" for the winter or should I continue once a week watering until it becomes more cold outside? Are there any particular species that dormant during summer and "awaken" in the fall, that need to continue regular watering? Any advice will be highly appreciated.
adetheproducer

Re: need advice about watering

Post by adetheproducer »

Your weather is going to be quite different to mine but if the are still drying out well between watering and are still growing then they are fine. If growth has stopped/slowed it might be time to start drying them out for winter so they have a good rest period. It would help if you can tell us what species you are growing.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Where at in California? In the north the raining season is just starting so the high daytime temps won't be so extreme. In the south I believe Indian summer is happening. In Central California were are starting to cool off to the low 80's and maybe rain later this week. I have stopped watering outside and let mother nature take over, in the greenhouse I water just a little because the lows are getting into the low 50's. Starting in November I may not water again until late February; it depends on how cold the winter is. :)
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

Thank you for the replies! I live in LA, Indian summer, you are right :). Most cacti in my collection are the common ones - mamms, gymnos, rebutia, parodia, echinospis, some opuntias and echinocacti. A few of them are still having flowers - Mamm.gracilis, M. camptotricha, M.mystax, Parodia mairanana and recently a small bud appeared on Matucana madisoniorum. I just want my plants happy and blooming, trying to do what is best for them :)).
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Don't know about California, but the plants usually stop growing in the UK when the weather starts getting colder, so we stop watering. That is usually September for us, but it will depend on your climate. As soon as it drops into the 40's Farenheight cut the watering down and stop as it gets down to the mid 40's F. I have not watered for a few weeks, but am still getting the odd flower. Our plants don't always need watering to continue to flower being succulents. As the plants dehydrate for winter their sap thickens and forms a natural antifreeze which helps to stop them getting frosted.
Last edited by DaveW on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

Thank you!!!