Top Heavy Pilosocereus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
xarbak

Top Heavy Pilosocereus

Post by xarbak »

Hi guys,
About a few years ago, i got my first cactus. It was a pilosocereus glaucochrous, which came with many stems or so.
As a year went by, it appeared to have gotten spider mites, which I did not know what was wrong at the time... Eventually was left with one as all the others shrivelled
and went crusty. Its kind of stunted its growth I believe, as its always been in my conservatory and grows very well in there now.
Last year it got wounded by a broom stick on a windy day, which again stunted its growth for a while.

However although healthy now, its started to get top heavy and wobbles when ever I move it. I worry it might snap one day.
Do I bury it deeper or should I cut the top half?

And also one last question.
Does any one know what causes a cactus to stop growing a rib??
Thanks very much :D
IMG_8096.JPG
IMG_8096.JPG (61.55 KiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_8828.JPG
IMG_8828.JPG (63.66 KiB) Viewed 784 times
iann

Re: Top Heavy Pilosocereus

Post by iann »

You could just chop it. The base is never going to fatten up enough to support the new growth. It also looks like it has a significant scar. If you chop just above that you'll end up with a nicer plant. On the downside, it will be shorter, probably won't get roots until next year, and might possibly die.
--ian
xarbak

Post by xarbak »

Thanks for your advise Ian.
If I was to give it a chop, when is the best time to do it? Now, or should I wait till next spring?

This is a difficult decision now as I haven't seen this species in my local garden centres since I got this one.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The best time to take cuttings is in the Spring, just after growth has commenced. Don't worry too much, the base should produce new growth as well.
Spence :mrgreen: