Grow light

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
wayoutwest302

Grow light

Post by wayoutwest302 »

I'm looking to buy a artificial light set up for when the winter comes for my 20 or so cacti. Is there anything anyone could recommend? What kind of grow bulbs would be best?

Thank you for any help
kristian_Fossmo

Re: Grow light

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

I have been using this for my seedlings, as extra lighting to complement the west facing window placement, year around with good results. http://www.professionalgrow.se/en/low-p ... k-ref-plug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
wayoutwest302

Post by wayoutwest302 »

I wonder if that will work good for mature cacti?
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

If you don't mind building something- I have a setup using LEDs that cost around $250 to build. It covers 8 sq ft, uses 150W, has insulation to keep plants at 95F even in winter (optional, I do this so my seedlings can grow year round), and outputs enough for me to grow my Ariocarpus collection in it (which has mature plants). I do actually have to fix 2 of the lights (soon) but I run it 10.5 hours a day, no outside light.

To make it I needed quite a lot of materials though, but it works really well. You can also try those LED grow lights some companies offer, but I haven't tested those.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
kaitlyn25

Post by kaitlyn25 »

gemhunter178 wrote:If you don't mind building something- I have a setup using LEDs that cost around $250 to build. It covers 8 sq ft, uses 150W, has insulation to keep plants at 95F even in winter (optional, I do this so my seedlings can grow year round), and outputs enough for me to grow my Ariocarpus collection in it (which has mature plants). I do actually have to fix 2 of the lights (soon) but I run it 10.5 hours a day, no outside light.

To make it I needed quite a lot of materials though, but it works really well. You can also try those LED grow lights some companies offer, but I haven't tested those.
My roomate has one and I can tell you how it appears to be working in a month or so she has only had it for a week thus far