Echinopsis oxygona pups buried in soil

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BlackDesert21

Echinopsis oxygona pups buried in soil

Post by BlackDesert21 »

Hi. I have an Echinopsis oxygona that is in a pretty tight pot that was okay for it, but now it's growing pups. When watered, the soil washed over the tiny pups at the base of the cactus and I'm afraid to introduce more water to rinse it off of them for fear of rotting the main plant.

Will pups buried in the soil soil die, or just keep growing until next week's watering when they can be rinsed off?

Will dead pups smothered by soil shrivel and just waste away, or will they rot and rot the main plant as a result?
DaveW

Re: Echinopsis oxygona pups buried in soil

Post by DaveW »

Some cacti will even produce pups from areoles below ground and some even pup using underground stolons, therefore I would not worry too much about buried ones since they will eventually emerge from the soil. In fact some of the small earth cacti in habitat are repeatedly covered by shifting sand or soil and grow up through it.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have some in clays pots and to make room as they grow, they break the pot. In a plastic square pot, they can grow and make the square pot round. When I repot the pups, they are squashed but in time their shape comes back. Some will grow and retain the strange shapes. They will grow, I fine them a very tough plant. That's why I have them in my garden. :D
milos

Post by milos »

you need biger pot