E. ancistrophora arachnacantha flowering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
absolute0

E. ancistrophora arachnacantha flowering

Post by absolute0 »

So I got this E. ancistrophora arachnacantha through plant mail and for a tiny plant (1.5-2in), it had lots of flower buds. Some fell off when I potted the plant though (didn't know they were that delicate) but there were still other buds left. How do I know if the buds are still viable? Also, how long would it take for the buds to actually flower and how do I make sure it does?

Here are some pics of the said plant
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 804 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.45 KiB) Viewed 804 times
greenknight

Re: E. ancistrophora arachnacantha flowering

Post by greenknight »

It's a small species, it won't get much bigger. The buds will steadily enlarge if they're going to bloom. If they don't bloom this year, they still might do so sometime in the future - there's no way to tell. They bloom spring though summer, the buds should start to enlarge soon if they're going to bloom this year. See - http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... chnacantha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Oh. So that it means there are cases when they produce buds but never actually flower?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's more that they produce a lot of buds and some don't flower by the end of the growing season, but they remain on the plant and may develop in subsequent years.

I've never repotted one when it was in bud, so I don't know how much that will set them back.
Spence :mrgreen:
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

I see. Thanks greenknight! :D