help -- I don't know what to do with this cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
mel1000

help -- I don't know what to do with this cactus

Post by mel1000 »

Hi all,

My daughter left me this cactus and I"ve no idea what to do with it. It is getting top heavy and I am concerned that it will break or fall over. Yep, people do comment on it :)

Is there a way to repot or redirect its growth?

with thanks,
myra
Attachments
cactus post.jpg
cactus post.jpg (50.47 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Steve Johnson

Re: help -- I don't know what to do with this cactus

Post by Steve Johnson »

mel1000 wrote:Hi all,

My daughter left me this cactus and I"ve no idea what to do with it. It is getting top heavy and I am concerned that it will break or fall over. Yep, people do comment on it :)

Is there a way to repot or redirect its growth?
Quite a few cactus species naturally lean south (or north if you live in the southern hemisphere) toward the sun, and this is characteristic with many columnar cacti. I don't think there's anything you can do to redirect the growth of your plant, so best recommendation is to continue letting it grow however it wants. Looking at the photo you posted, the stem seems thick
enough -- I doubt that it'll break off. I'd be more concerned about the narrow base of the pot. I could just see the whole thing tipping over in a stiff wind, but a good way to head that problem off at the pass would be to repot your cactus in a cylindrical pot. Go by the top diameter of your existing pot, measure the depth, and that'll give you the dimensions of the cylindrical pot you should look for. Once again, from what I see in your photo it appears that you're growing your plant in a commercial cactus mix. If I'm correct, it could use more mineral in the mix for better drainage. Gravel should work fine, and if you mix some in with whatever cactus mix you're using, then put it into a cylindrical pot, and there's no way your cactus will fall over.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
mel1000

Re: help -- I don't know what to do with this cactus

Post by mel1000 »

Excellent! Thanks so much for your suggestions -- I will follow them all and relax without worry.
m