Soil help!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
kristian_Fossmo

Re: Soil help!

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Thats weird, on the Swedish version they also have pumice. http://www.baramineraler.se/sv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "Produkter" then "Pimpsten" contact info: http://www.baramineraler.se/sv/kontakt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .Try to send them an email and ask if they sell pumice to any growers/company in your country, maybe you can find it to a reasonable price that way, just an idea...
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
Csonte

Post by Csonte »

Finally i got the materials, but last question :D
if i skip the orchid bark,i dont find anywhere the form what i need, just the orchid soil, so if i skip it, i hope its not a big problem, (if it is i buy the soil and collect the barks from it or i find another solution) what should i do with the missing part?
add some other mineral, or just skip it, and use the 5p soil, 1p cocus, 1p peat, 2p zeloite combination?
And for the seeds is it ok, if i use zeolite 50% and another material like sand or gravel 50%?
Thank you for everything im so close to the finish line :D
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Orchid bark is recommended only for epiphytes - Epiphylums, Christmas cacti, and the like. If you're mixing soil for those, you could substitute orchid soil, no need to separate out the bark. It would not be a big problem if you skip it, use coir or peat in place of it.

For desert cacti, don't use bark or orchid soil. I would increase the zeolite to 3 parts - that might not be needed if the potting soil you use has a lot of grit in it, but it would be safer.

That mix for seed starting would be fine, You would need to fertilize after a while, but cactus seedlings can grow for months with the nutrients stored in the seed. I use 1/4 potting soil so I don't need to fertilize, but you need to remove any large chunks of bark from the potting soil you use (the stuff I get has no bark in it). Either way will work well, it's your choice.
Spence :mrgreen:
Csonte

Post by Csonte »

Ok, thanks , or i will try the lava rock because i find it in my local rock shop. I read an article on the page (Growing Cacti) and there is another mix 6p pumice 2p coir 2psoil, and a new material vermiculite, :D when should we use this much pumice or zeolit or vermiculite (i could buy it but its pretty expensive).
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lava rock is good. Vermiculite works, but it breaks down after several years - I wouldn't use it.

The mix with more grit should be used for cacti with tuberous roots and any plant that needs much dryer than average conditions, like Lithops. You could use it for all your cacti, though, you'd just have to water a little more often - but you'd have less risk of overwatering.

Some grow all their cacti in straight grit, with good results. I use a mix with quite a bit of organic matter, because this area gets hot, dry winds in the summer (10% humidity is not unusual) that really suck the moisture out of everything - I sometimes need to water every day. You need to figure out what works with your conditions and growing style. The safest approach would be to start with a more gritty mix, if you find it dries out too fast add more organic matter.
Spence :mrgreen:
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Try ebay DaveW if you set to eu and search with just the phrase "bonsai soil" there is a guy selling 1, 2 and 5 litre bags for something like a fiver a litre. I know it's not a great price but its the best I found the link is for the first one I found buy the seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BONSAI-SOIL-P ... Sw1x1UMRkk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty decent stuff I got a 2 litre back to use as add mix rather than a base material.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I paid £22 for a 14 litre bag of pumice Ade (just over £1.57p litre), buying it by the litre at £4.40p would cost £61.60p. If you just look for Bonsai Soil on EBAY not all of it is just pumice. The source I bought from was:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pumice-Bonsai ... 0962032509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still nothing like as cheap as those in pumice producing countries can get it for.
Robb

Post by Robb »

DaveW wrote:Still nothing like as cheap as those in pumice producing countries can get it for.
An advantage of living in the shaky isles :lol:
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Csonte

Post by Csonte »

Thank you everybody.