Thelocactus Setispinus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
MadridPeter

Thelocactus Setispinus

Post by MadridPeter »

Can anyone tell me how to reroot this cactus? is there any special method for this species? i ordered one, it arrived and i noticed it has almost no roots..just stumps that look a bit old..it came in a plastic pot with purely mineral soil.....the plant doesnt seem to be damaged or sick and infact has 4 flower buds up top..i emailed the seller and he apologised and said he hadnt examined the plant since he potted it up

Thanks a million for any input
iann

Re: Thelocactus Setispinus

Post by iann »

First tip: buy from somewhere else. Nobody with half a clue ships a cactus in a pot. Ignoring all the difficulties and things that can go badly wrong, you would always want to repot it immediately anyway.

If it has just stubs of roots then it should grow a bigger set quite quickly. If it has no roots at all then you should check very carefully that the base of the plant is even alive. Roots don't just all drop off for no reason. If the plant is healthy, or you can cut it back to a healthy part, then you just have to wait. Stick it in some coarse material, somewhere warm but not in baking sun. You can even leave it in the pot although it takes more experience to know when you have enough roots to start treating it normally again. Don't be tempted to water - no point if there are no roots, just asking for trouble. The roots will come in a month or two in ideal conditions, but sometimes much longer. Once they start, they should grow quickly into a full set.

I usually root sitting in cat litter, but any coarse material is OK, and it shouldn't make a huge difference what you use. With tall cuttings, I just leave them propped up under the staging until the roots appear. Don't go mad with the watering when you first get roots, which can be tempting if the plant looks really thirsty. Let them dry out each time before you water again, which will encourage a good root system and avoid losing them again.
--ian
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Brilliant information Ian thank you very much!! i only ever received one other cactus already potted through the post and it was also from a German and also potted in gravel and sand...i read that when the soil gets too dry a cactus will drop its roots to maintain its stem moisture and later when rain or moisture finally arrives it will put out new roots..part of a survival strategy..i also heard that root loss can be due to poor water quality or root mealies..i presume there would be more evidence if mealies were around. I am going to do what you suggested and leave it potted for a month or two without water and see what happens...maybe keeping an eye out for new growth as a cue to gradually introduce water..or just unpot it and have a look...actually recently had mealies that ruined a pygmaeocereus i really love :(
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Dealers don't usually send out plants potted because the soil and pot can weigh as much as the plant and most carriage, be it by post or other means, is priced by weight. As well as that plants may become un-potted in transit anyway as Ian indicates. Obviously stores and garden centres receive deliveries of potted plants, but they are usually delivered in bulk by the suppliers rather than by post.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

So the guy who sent it to me must be a bit clueless ..he must have been watering it wrong if the roots dropped off or not at all and if he'd unpotted it and seen the roots I probably wouldn't have a very nice setispinus ..hope it roots!!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Thelocactus are easy to root, so you should not have problems if it is a healthy (enough) plant.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks Aiko..I will be crossing my fingers for roots and hoping the 4 flower buds dont abort...great plant..always wanted one..i heard you have to be careful because it produces nectar which can provoke fungus and even attract ants that can carry mealy bugs