When to repot store bought cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Juan Miguel

When to repot store bought cacti

Post by Juan Miguel »

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a couple of cacti (Echinocactus brevispina & Neocardenasia herzogiana) and I'd like to transfer them into some nice ceramic pots. I was just wondering if it was safe to do it straight away or if I would have to wait a certain amount of time. Also would I water them before or after repotting?

Also, I am going to be making my own mix as the pots are slightly larger. I was going to use the soil thats already in the pots along with some pumice, coarse sand and maybe some coir. Could someone tell me if these would be adequate?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151226767971? ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170737503678? ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222028881711? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks in advance!
Juan Miguel

Re: When to repot store bought cacti

Post by Juan Miguel »

Anyone?
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Repot them strait away if you want I would say. Wait 1-2 weeks before watering them after repotting so the roots has time to heal, in case they got damaged do to repotting (and the fine roots always is damaged, you just dont see it). I have mine in strait inorganic "soil" pumice, scoria and granit, that works fine for me up here. If you live someplace warm you maybe want to put something in that retains moisture for some time.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
Juan Miguel

Post by Juan Miguel »

kristian_Fossmo wrote:Repot them strait away if you want I would say. Wait 1-2 weeks before watering them after repotting so the roots has time to heal, in case they got damaged do to repotting (and the fine roots always is damaged, you just dont see it). I have mine in strait inorganic "soil" pumice, scoria and granit, that works fine for me up here. If you live someplace warm you maybe want to put something in that retains moisture for some time.
Cool, thanks for the reply.
keith

Post by keith »

I do it immediately. At least take them out of the store pots. I also wash all the soil off the roots and let them dry for a week or more in the shade then re-pot. That might be over kill but I don't know what insect pests that maybe hiding in the roots. Big nurseries can use pesticides I can't buy so any pests that are immune I won't be able to kill .

Usually the potting soil is too acid for cactus anyway.