New Fertilizer

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
XP_2600

New Fertilizer

Post by XP_2600 »

I had the following fertilizer and I would like to know if its suitable to cactus and specially year old seedlings:
Total nitrogen 20%
Total phosphore
Soulble potassium 20%
Zn .5%
Fe 0.03%
Mn .03%
Cu 0.01%
Mo 0.01%
Mg .02%
B 0.001%
XP_2600
greenknight

Re: New Fertilizer

Post by greenknight »

How much phosphorus does it have? You left that out.

To encourage more and better blooms, you should use a high-phosphorus fertilizer. A formula with equal amounts of all three major nutrients is all right for young plants. In either case, use a weak solution, half what the instructions call for or less - too much nitrogen leads to overly-soft, weak growth in cacti.

This does have a good balance of minerals, which is good.
Spence :mrgreen:
XP_2600

Post by XP_2600 »

Thanks!
Another question, i have a lot of parrots, do you think i can use their feces for fertilizing ?
XP_2600
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

I belive bird droppings are very high in nitrogen, and you have to compost it or let it "burn" because its nitrogen source is uric acid, thus have to be broken down to, for plants, more accessible nitrogen compounds.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes - poultry manure is good for growing corn, not for cacti. Not easy to compost in an apartment, either, though I have seen articles about people who make compost in a plastic garbage bag in their closet. Could get awfully smelly, I'd think.
Spence :mrgreen: