Cheap cactus soil mix

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
TexasPricklyPiglet

Cheap cactus soil mix

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

I just wanted to ask if any of you have super cheap cactus soil mix recipes. I like budget gardening, and I usually like to plant cactus seeds on a whim, so I don't usually have many top quality items lying around. I have found a solution that seems to work well. I will share it, but I do get nervous when posting around experienced experts. I am trying to get there...but on a budget. Anyway here it goes:

2 parts Texas desert soil, naturally contains rocks and snail shells and things like that (free)
1 part gravel from a fire ant mound (free)
1 part miracle grow cactus soil ($5)

So, for about $5, you can make a ton of good soil to pot your cacti. My M. Heyderi loves it. You can also decorate with Texas fossils and crystals for free, they are quite literally everywhere.

Post your $5 and under recipes! :D
Attachments
2016-02-17 21.20.03.jpg
2016-02-17 21.20.03.jpg (76.47 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
DaveW

Re: Cheap cactus soil mix

Post by DaveW »

Whether there is a universal potting mix suitable for every climate is debatable. The main requirement seems to be that it drains quickly enough to not stay wet in your climate and the plants grow OK in it. If those two requirements are met then whatever works for you. I suppose the problem is we all keep experimenting with our growing mixes hoping to find something better. Your plants are obviously growing well in your mix Piglet. The only caution is the soil in habitat the plants are found growing in may not be suitable unmodified for pot culture, since soil in open ground drains far easier than in a pot, plus the roots have a greater area to tap for essential nutrients. Which is why potting soils recommended are always different to just using soil straight from the garden (yard) or habitat in a pot.
graffiti

Re: Cheap cactus soil mix

Post by graffiti »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote: 1 part gravel from a fire ant mound (free)
Free, or potentially an expensive trip to the ER. ;)