Do cacti absorb water through spines?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
keithp2012

Do cacti absorb water through spines?

Post by keithp2012 »

If I'm trying to root a gymno offset will misting with water allow the cactus to absorb water through its spines?
DaveW

Re: Do cacti absorb water through spines?

Post by DaveW »

Doubtful for Gymnocalycium as water usually only condenses on cactus spines and drips down to the roots. However it was once postulated that plants with corky spines like Navajoa may do so. There is also a difference of opinion as to if they can absorb water through their skin, some claim they can, but others point out that their waxy skins are designed to prevent loss of water to the atmosphere so are unlikely to allow it to pass in the other direction. However mist spraying may prevent the cactus loosing too much water and shrivelling whilst unrooted, plus encourage rooting and obviously it does not make the soil as wet as watering.

Evidently the person is not a cactophile in this link from their identification of that office plant as Rebutia muscula

http://ustachewicz.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... ector.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7george

Post by 7george »

I believe this is possible sprinkling my plants with water.

These guys also think so, but don't describe the exact mechanism of absorption by areoles.
A multi-structural and multi-functional integrated fog collection system in cactus
Last edited by 7george on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

7george wrote:I believe this is possible sprinkling my plants with water.

These guys also think so, but don't describe the exact mechanism of absorption by areoles.
[url=ttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/233849 ... _in_cactus]A multi-structural and multi-functional integrated fog collection system in cactus[/url]
That link is broken - it gives the address with a ttps prefix, which doesn't exist. I changed it to https, then it works. Here's the corrected address - https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _in_cactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

So nobody knows :) I do like the way certain plants look when the spines get wet, and I deliberately leave them in the rain from time to time. I have no clue if it is any more beneficial than just watering the soil. Personally, I'd rather than my cactus spines didn't collect dew, there is far too much of it about here in winter.
polycephalus-0801.jpg
polycephalus-0801.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
--ian
TexasPricklyPiglet

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Hi! I once read an article about how Turbinicarpus species can intake water through their spines. I am not sure about all cactus though.
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes I read that one too Piglet as they have peculiar spongy spines (Navajoa's too), but cannot remember where. In that case though the areole would have to be able to absorb the moisture. In most cases the spines seem to just be condensation collectors and let the moisture run down the plant body or drip onto the soil around the base for the roots to absorb.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

This is an interesting topic ! Not exactly the same but I wonder if cacti ( not all species but some maybe?) are able to absorb water trough their stomata? It would make sense for species living where there are more mist/fog than rain?