Melocactus: how many degrees in wintertime?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Ksenija87

Melocactus: how many degrees in wintertime?

Post by Ksenija87 »

Hi guys,

I got recently some worries about my two Melocactus (matanzanus and neryi). I fear the temperature in my garage, which it's slightly heated, it's not enough (9-15 °C = 48.2-59 F). They're actually in a greenhouse from Ikea which is not heated (but eventually could).
Can this be enough for them? :-k

My bests
Francesca
Steve Johnson

Re: Melocactus: how many degrees in wintertime?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Ksenija87 wrote:Hi guys,

I got recently some worries about my two Melocactus (matanzanus and neryi). I fear the temperature in my garage, which it's slightly heated, it's not enough (9-15 °C = 48.2-59 F). They're actually in a greenhouse from Ikea which is not heated (but eventually could).
Can this be enough for them? :-k
Melocactus can survive down to 4C, so you should be fine. If they are juveniles, they won't need any water in winter. However, if they already have cephalia, you will need to give them some light watering every 3 weeks to keep the roots from dying off. "Light watering" means just enough to moisten the mix without accidentally drenching it. Then when your growing season begins (roughly speaking, overnight lows above 12C and daytime highs above 22-23C), you can give them deep watering once a week.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Ksenija87

Re: Melocactus: how many degrees in wintertime?

Post by Ksenija87 »

Thanks Steve, that was very helpful. The M. neryi I recently got has already the cephalium, so for now I'll water it as you told me. I've reading and hearing the should be kept at min 16 °C, that's why I got doubts about my garage temperature. My bests!