Gymnocalycium/Chin Cactus HELP

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ekcayen

Gymnocalycium/Chin Cactus HELP

Post by ekcayen »

Hello
So I have had this cactus for a long time, almost a year soon. I have received some help with watering but it was very vague and I was wondering if anyone knew how often to water this guy. Also, I have included a birds-eye view of him and was wondering if he needed repotting, as he is touching some of the sides of his pot. So how often to water and repotting. If he needs to be repotted, I would really appreciate some help on that too. I bought some cactus soil from a local small store.
Is he looking healthy from the pictures?
Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_6006.JPG
IMG_6006.JPG (69.72 KiB) Viewed 782 times
IMG_6007.JPG
IMG_6007.JPG (57.99 KiB) Viewed 782 times
iann

Re: Gymnocalycium/Chin Cactus HELP

Post by iann »

No desperate need to repot, but you might consider it in spring, after doing some research into soil mixes.

This is a relatively easy species. Give it plenty of sun, some afternoon shade in summer in hot climates. Leave dry now until late spring. Then water deeply, allow to dry out, repeat through summer. It should flower in the summer.
--ian
ekcayen

Post by ekcayen »

Thank you! What about the pot? Too small?
iann

Post by iann »

ekcayen wrote:Thank you! What about the pot? Too small?
See what the roots are like. If they fill the pot and are crowded, then you can use a slightly bigger pot. If the soil mix it is in now is really bad (like pure solid peat) then you might have a job getting it off and lose a lot of roots. But no need to panic right now, it isn't being harmed in that pot, it doesn't need water any time soon, so you can take your time and do it right. If you've had this for a year then you can't be doing anything too wrong :)
--ian
7george

Post by 7george »

The plant is in good shape, I think - Gymnocalycium monvillei ssp. achirasense. 8 to 10 cm pot will be the most it will need. But it can stay for some time and even flower in this one.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8