notocactus leninghausii HELP

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ekcayen

notocactus leninghausii HELP

Post by ekcayen »

Hi,
I got this cactus a while back, maybe 6 months, and I need help with him. The directions I received for his care were extremely vague and I feel as though he has been neglected. How often do I water him, what does he want, should he be repotted, anything else to make him happy. Honestly don't know how often to water. Please help! I attached pictures of him.
Thank yoU!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_6010.JPG
IMG_6010.JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 588 times
IMG_6008.JPG
IMG_6008.JPG (53.3 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Aiko

Re: notocactus leninghausii HELP

Post by Aiko »

Water when the soil is completely dry. Not sooner. Just give it 'a splash' when you water. Enough for the water to take its time to go through the soil, but not enough the entire pot is completely saturated and a lot of water runs through the pot making a big mess. A small mess is what you should get.
iann

Re: notocactus leninghausii HELP

Post by iann »

Aiko wrote:Water when the soil is completely dry. Not sooner. Just give it 'a splash' when you water. Enough for the water to take its time to go through the soil, but not enough the entire pot is completely saturated and a lot of water runs through the pot making a big mess. A small mess is what you should get.
A "splash" is the wrong word. The soil should be completely wetted, but only when it dry and only when the weather is reasonably warm and sunny. That pot is a little large for that cactus, unless it has improbably large roots. It looks reasonably healthy for now, no need to rush into anything. Probably no need for water at all for another month or two.
--ian