Easter Cactus, Hatiora gaertneri HELP

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ekcayen

Easter Cactus, Hatiora gaertneri HELP

Post by ekcayen »

Hello
I've had this cactus for a few months and have not done much with it -- I need help. I water it occasionally and am not sure if it needs repotting. In short, I have no idea how to take care of it and am struggling with figuring out how to make this guy happy. Please help me. I need to know how often to water, whether he needs to be repotted, and anything else important regarding my easter cactus. Please help! I have attached some photos, also one of his roots.

Thanks!!!!
Attachments
IMG_5999.JPG
IMG_5999.JPG (68.53 KiB) Viewed 638 times
IMG_6001.JPG
IMG_6001.JPG (58.14 KiB) Viewed 638 times
IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6002.JPG (52.32 KiB) Viewed 638 times
esp_imaging

Re: Easter Cactus, Hatiora gaertneri HELP

Post by esp_imaging »

It looks healthy, with decent roots which are almost filling the pot, although it's a bit dry - the "leaves" are very thin, they will plump up a lot when it's been watered.
So, unless it's in a cold unheated room with temperatures close to freezing, give it some water, so the whole of the composit is just damp, then let it dry out completely for a day or 2 before watering again at this time of year.
In the summer, when it's warm, they will want to grow quite strongly, it will be happy if it's always kept very slightly damp. It will be happy outside in a fairly sunny or lightly shaded spot in the UK in summer, it may need watering a bit during hot, dry spells.
Although it can cope with water better than desert cacti, it won't be happy if kept in waterlogged soil for long.
I'd repot it, either now or in the spring.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Zhanna

Re: Easter Cactus, Hatiora gaertneri HELP

Post by Zhanna »

How is your Easter cactus doing now?