Winter Watering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
leisurely

Winter Watering

Post by leisurely »

I grow my plants in a greenhouse that gets full sun and even during cool weather the temperature can rise to the upper seventies to mid eighties Farenheit. During the winter months, I usually water my cactus collection by giving them a light watering about once a month from December through March. I live in Central Florida and we have experienced eighties for the majority of the month. They have not been watered since Nov. 26th and that was a regular thorough watering. Because of the very warm weather, I was considering giving them another thorough watering in a few days even though no shriveling is apparent. Will I reduce my chances of good flowering in the spring if I water heavily now and should I continue to leave them dry even though temperatures are warm?
Jerry
7george

Re: Winter Watering

Post by 7george »

It depends on the plant nature - many tropical originating plants will need profound watering being in active phase these months. Others, even in bloom, will need just spraying or shallow surface watering, or better been left dry for now. Especially in an greenhouse where the air could be wet (condensation on walls) I would be very careful with watering cacti that look dormant or showing modest growth.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Re: Winter Watering

Post by 7george »

Fatich wrote:It's staying on the windowsill and the temperature is around 13' now. Should i water or wait for spring months?
This is maybe the minimum temperature, the maximums should be in 20's to provoke such a growth. It obviously gets lot of sun too. Maybe some light watering (and spraying) will work, providing that substrate will be dry again in 2 - 3 days... Some cacti like this one will be growing even if left dry - using resources of their older stem part or roots.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8