Watering after repotting

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
kal9988

Watering after repotting

Post by kal9988 »

After I repot a cactus, should I water immediately or wait a period of time? Thanks!
Steve Johnson

Re: Watering after repotting

Post by Steve Johnson »

kal9988 wrote:After I repot a cactus, should I water immediately or wait a period of time?
Depends on where you live, and it's highly recommended that forum members include basic location and climate info in their profiles. Then whenever they ask for advice, respondents are more likely to produce useful answers. See the following screenshots:

If you live in the US, you can reference the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map for your profile:

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

The general advice is to not water until any root damage has healed, so give it a few days, or a week or 2, depending on where you are, the cactus species and conditions.
If the weather cold and damp, you are in the autumn heading towards winter, your compost is a bit damp, yu've made major root disturbance and you are repotting very sensitive species, certainly give it quite a while.
If you have a rampantly healthy, tough, water tolerant plant in a warm spell in late spring the risk of watering promptly is far less.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I definately would wait watering for any of the highly succulent succulents like Lithops, Pleiospilos, Tanquana and such. They will need to see their roots healed properly before you water. Wait a few weeks with that, or they might rot soon after watering.

For cacti I have never experienced any problems watering immediately after watering.
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Aiko wrote:I definately would wait watering for any of the highly succulent succulents like Lithops, Pleiospilos, Tanquana and such. They will need to see their roots healed properly before you water. Wait a few weeks with that, or they might rot soon after watering.

For cacti I have never experienced any problems watering immediately after watering.
How very interesting! I've heard the exact opposite from growers, one can immediately water mesembs (granted they're not in their dormant period) but that cacti should be given a week or so to recover from any damage.
Would you water immediately in the winter time, if they are grown in fairly warm temps about 15 C at night and 20 C during the day?
7george

Post by 7george »

Would you water immediately in the winter time, if they are grown in fairly warm temps about 15 C at night and 20 C during the day?
My indoor plants are kept at ~ temperatures like these, but I'll water them just next spring, re-potted or not... Give 'em a week at least.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

7george wrote:
My indoor plants are kept at ~ temperatures like these, but I'll water them just next spring, re-potted or not... Give 'em a week at least.
Yeah that makes sense to give them some time to heal post repotting stress. I see that you're growing in Canada, are you doing so under lights for the winter season or ?
7george

Post by 7george »

Pushrestart wrote:
Yeah that makes sense to give them some time to heal post repotting stress. I see that you're growing in Canada, are you doing so under lights for the winter season or ?

My indoor plants are at windowsills, mostly dormant now and I use this time to re-pot, change soil, etc. Only the youngest seedlings are under CFL until reach size to be left dry whole winter.
Mamm.poselgeri_8063.JPG
Mamm.poselgeri_8063.JPG (43.95 KiB) Viewed 10819 times
Some plants even can stay bare-rooted (in up-right position) in cool place until I find time and mood to plant it in pots.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8