Is this gravel good for calcifuge cactus?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Vanzily

Is this gravel good for calcifuge cactus?

Post by Vanzily »

I have some sudamerican seedlings right now. My substrate have a little bit high PH, I'm using limestone for mexican especies, and looking for another thing to use on this ones in the future. Is hsrd to find things here. So, once I saw one good gravel package, bought inmediately. The thing is, now I removed the bab, I see shells in the gravel #-o . I dont thing can be beach sand. I taste the gravel and dont have salt. So maybe can be river sand and added the shells. What do you think?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.31 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
esp_imaging

Re: Is this gravel good for calcifuge cactus?

Post by esp_imaging »

Is there any reason it wouldn't just be washed beach sand?
Adding shells seems an odd thing to do.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
7george

Post by 7george »

Looks OK for South Americans, I would use it. How big or small these particles are? I prefer larger stuff. Although its hot and dry where you live and you will not have problems with excessive water retaining.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Vanzily

Post by Vanzily »

Beach sand or not, well, I paid for that and can´t throw it. I know the issues using beach sand, the salt and also the saltpeter, I really don´t like to use it in my substrate. I´m looking for mineral stuff also for lithops, are growing ok in scoria but can be better using silica sand or mix them. My substrate is scoria with limestone
7george wrote:Looks OK for South Americans, I would use it. How big or small these particles are? I prefer larger stuff. Although its hot and dry where you live and you will not have problems with excessive water retaining.
I think in use them, mix the scoria and this gravel. No problem with the water retain. I never lost one cactus for to much water. So, I said that, You think is still ok for use? Or will be better in only scoria? In case if is beach sand I washed it very well and leave it with water and some spoonful vinegar for one day. And also boil with water
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Why would you not go into the country and dig up your ready made soil and rocks up? You live in the heart of cactusworld. I am sure you should be able to find good cactus soil nearby?
Vanzily

Post by Vanzily »

Aiko wrote:Why would you not go into the country and dig up your ready made soil and rocks up? You live in the heart of cactusworld. I am sure you should be able to find good cactus soil nearby?
Because everything Im seeing is limestone and sand. And you know what I mean with this
keith

Post by keith »

Fresh water shells I've seen them before in sand I used to build a patio with. you're pretty far from the Ocean
Vanzily

Post by Vanzily »

keith wrote:Fresh water shells I've seen them before in sand I used to build a patio with. you're pretty far from the Ocean
Mmm... Interesting. Well, I´m glad to see that. If this sand don´t have salt, can be river sand now. And I dont think the guys sell this sand for aquarium fish, because the fish who live in rivers can die. Well, thank you
iann

Post by iann »

Shells wouldn't be good for calcifuge species. Fresh water or salt, they're effectively the same as limestone.

The sand colour looks nice, but really you need to test with acid. Ordinary household vinegar will do. Fizzing indicates calcium carbonate. Or you can stand it in water overnight and test the pH if you have the facilities for that. Maybe test the water first also since I'm guessing your water is pretty hard already.
--ian
7george

Post by 7george »

Vanzily wrote:===

I think in use them, mix the scoria and this gravel. No problem with the water retain. I never lost one cactus for to much water. So, I said that, You think is still ok for use? Or will be better in only scoria? In case if is beach sand I washed it very well and leave it with water and some spoonful vinegar for one day. And also boil with water
That scoria will perform maybe better in your case keeping some moisture longer, having larger particles and giving better aeration. It depends on other mix components as well. You can try both ingredients and share the results with us.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8