Parodia haselbergii

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Benyellow

Parodia haselbergii

Post by Benyellow »

Alright so I've got this Parodia for almost 7 months now, I repotted it in decomposed granite and the cactus soil mix and treat it as I would with every other cactus. Somehow, it doesn't seems to grow at all, it looks like it's dormant. I uprooted it and noticed the root has not grown at all. Basically any advice on growing this cactus in this tropical climate where I'm from? Thanks.
Attachments
20151001_153415.jpg
20151001_153415.jpg (174.15 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
iann

Re: Parodia haselbergii

Post by iann »

Looks like it has enough roots to do a bit of growing. Or maybe they are dead? Does it respond at all to water?
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's native to a sub-tropical climate, I'd have though it would do well there. The only problem I'm aware of is they tend to lose their roots over the winter, not a problem for you.

Did you have it over-potted? I have seen a Parodia fail to grow at all when placed in too large a pot, then grow fine when it was moved to a smaller one.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Evidently they grow among mosses and lichens and do experience some low temperatures in habitat:-

"In addition, we observed that in all populations, indifferently, individuals that have greater exposure to the sun develop a greater number of radial spines compared to those that are living in the shadow of rocks and bushes. The greater or lesser shielding of the taxon seems to be a protection from the sun, rather than the low temperatures reached in the cold sub-tropical climate of the Serra Gaucha (Mata Atlantica Biome)."

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... d=148&l=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some plants will often stand still for a year after potting before resuming growth and the roots look healthy enough.
Benyellow

Post by Benyellow »

Thanks for the reply :) It doesn't respond to water at all, it's like it's not losing water and not sucking up any too. And I potted it in a pot just slightly larger than it. I'm leaving it in the house now as I don't know how to wake it from sleeping. Any suggestions what can I do? or I will just have to wait?
7george

Post by 7george »

Check for pests - what is that white stuff between spines.
Some cacti don't grow if nights are too hot, they like cool nights. Does your soil hold enough water? Repot it and try it this winter or next season if kept in mild sunny conditions.
Don't give up.
:)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Benyellow

Post by Benyellow »

I've checked for pests too, those white stuffs are perlite haha, I'm quite clumsy. I don't have a winter here though, and the days and night are quite hot as I'm in a tropical climate country. I do have another picture, its stem is turning orange at some place, could it be sunburn? it only appear a few months ago so I doubt it's a sunburn.
Attachments
20151001_153436.jpg
20151001_153436.jpg (194.65 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
iann

Post by iann »

This species grows faster the hotter it is. I haven't observed any upper limit, but no doubt it would eventually give up. It gets very thirsty when it is hot.

If the roots aren't working and don't appear to be alive, then chop them off. It will quickly be obvious whether they are alive inside. If not, keep chopping. When you have a good healthy piece of flesh, let it callus and wait for new roots.

These rootless husks can linger for years, but if you don't get some working roots it will eventually die. Keep it shaded since it isn't going to grow much and won't appreciate any extra stress. I'd expect roots to come quite quickly if it is constantly warm, maybe just a few weeks.
--ian
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

The roots look OK. Probably the plant is resting. If it were mine I'd pot it and give it some water once in a while. Don't soak it. Just give it a sip sometimes so it doesn't sit completely dry all winter. Wait and watch for signs of growth as Spring nears. I have one of these from Walmart. I bought it last summer. I haven't repotted mine, yet. I probably won't do that until next Spring.