Repotting before winter

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
MartP

Repotting before winter

Post by MartP »

Hello, I have a few cacti that have been ID'd by the members of these forums...
Espostoopsis dybowskii
Ferocactus pilosus
Polaskia chichipe
Echinocactus Grusonii
I have to repot them soon, but it's autumn already and their dirt/peat kinda thing is dry. Should I repot them now or in spring, after winter dormancy?
I'm defenitely repotting Ferocactus to check for rot. Not that they have that much of roots but I'm still afraid that there's rot which will spread.
Also, another question. Should I add coir to the mix? I'm not adding it to lithops, but what about these^?
iann

Re: Repotting before winter

Post by iann »

I prefer not to repot now. 6 months of no growth, poor light, cool temperatures, and very high humidity are not favourable for a bunch of ripped roots. Depends why you need or want to repot really. If it is just to rip off a ball of peat, maybe wait until the end of winter. Of course you will be leaving the plants dry until then ;) If you need to check for pests then you should do that, and then maybe you have to clean off the roots and treat them. Same for rot - if you syspect it then you have to at least check it out.
--ian
MartP

Post by MartP »

ehh- I already began repotitng them by the time you replied.
The temperatures are going to rise up this and next week and it's going to be sunny and normal humidty, so I said "now is the time"
I needed to check for rot on the ferocactus, because of overwatering and being in peat for approx. 20 years.
polaskia and dybowskii were potbound, so I had to fix that - I was also checking for pests a bit, but no negative results, which is good :)
I left the grusonii (it's not a pure one, I suspect) because it's just "peat", as you said.
I'm leaving their roots to dry now.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Some people do re-pot at any time of the year if needed in cold old UK. However when the plants should be drying off they re-pot into dry soil and don't water until the next growing season. As Ian says it is always more of a risk re-potting a plant that is not growing unless you have to.