Cacti watering during seasons.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
gdiasrc

Cacti watering during seasons.

Post by gdiasrc »

Hello, I've recently acquired some cacti: Mammillaria gracilis, Gymnocalycium baldianum, Cleistocactus winterii, Nortocactus scopa. I would really appreciate if someone could give me a few suggestions about how I should proceed with the watering during the start of a hot sprint and summer, thanks in advance.
greenknight

Re: Cacti watering during seasons.

Post by greenknight »

First, make sure they're potted in a good mix - the topics pinned at the top of this forum cover that subject.

The rule for watering cacti is simple: during the growing season, water when dry. Not just dry on the surface, but down deep. If in doubt, don't.

If you can get your finger down into the soil a ways you can check that way. Some people insert a stick and see if it comes out damp. Many experienced growers can judge by how heavy the pot feels, but it takes years of cactus growing to do that reliably. I like to have some fair size rocks on the surface of my pots - if you look under a rock and it's damp there, no need to check further, it's definitely not dry enough.

Don't water on a schedule, and don't water just because it's hot - in very hot weather, plants may go into heat dormancy and stop taking up water. Delay watering in cloudy, cool spells.

Water deeply, until water comes out the drainage holes. Never leave the plants sitting in water, though.

It's really not difficult - just make sure you don't over water and you'll be fine.
Last edited by greenknight on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spence :mrgreen:
gdiasrc

Post by gdiasrc »

Thank you. Just one more question: are these all summer growing cacti?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they are. None of them is especially difficult , either, though Mammillaria gracilis (syn, Mammillaria vetula ssp, gracilis) is rather slow growing. Cleistocactus winterii, on the other hand, is a fast-growing trailing cactus, good in hanging baskets.
Spence :mrgreen:
gdiasrc

Post by gdiasrc »

Thank you :D