Have you ever used MaxSea 3-20-20 fertilizer?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
george76904

Have you ever used MaxSea 3-20-20 fertilizer?

Post by george76904 »

I came across it today and was wondering if anyone has ever used it? I recently went soiless and have been using a little bit of 14-14-14 extended release in the mix as well as a dilute 2-7-7 at watering but 3-20-20 sounds pretty good for roots and blooms. Has anyone ever used it though?
Thanks,
Will
iann

Re: Have you ever used MaxSea 3-20-20 fertilizer?

Post by iann »

Extended release fertiliser in a soil-less (I'm guessing at exactly what you mean by that) mix probably isn't the most effective way to go. I wouldn't worry about exactly which fertiliser you use in the short term, but probably longer term you need to get something with trace elements as well as the major ones.
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

MaxSea is made from seaweed, should contain all the trace elements needed. Ought to work well.
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

greenknight wrote:MaxSea is made from seaweed, should contain all the trace elements needed. Ought to work well.
You know it is just a fairly standard chemical fertiliser with a dash of processed seaweed added, don't you? If it doesn't list trace elements on the label then it doesn't have any worth talking about. If they're on the label then you're good to go. Either way, it isn't going to hurt to use it for a while. Might want to look at the Magnesium also. Some ferts just mix NPK and think they're done, when you need a reasonable amount of Magnesium too.
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Certainly, you don't get that high concentrations of nutrients from organic fertilizers. It doesn't take very much seaweed, though. They claim it has a full range of micronutrients, but I can't find any details - and their marketing is rather dishonest, they call it "organic based" to sucker people into thinking it's an organic fertilizer.

Unless you can get the stuff cheap, it might be more cost-effective to just add a little kelp extract to what you're using now.
Spence :mrgreen: