notocactus leninghausii care

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ekcayen

notocactus leninghausii care

Post by ekcayen »

Hi, I just got my new notocactus leninghausii today, and am not quite sure what would be the best care for this guy! Can anyone help me out with watering/sunlight? Especially watering???

Thanks!!! I'll attach a picture below
Attachments
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG (54.51 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
george76904

Re: notocactus leninghausii care

Post by george76904 »

Full sun, and water whenever it is dry. I know that that seems like a pretty useless statement, but it really depends on whenever the soil is fully dry. Even in the middle of summer I would say no more than 1x a week.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, the species is prone to splitting if given too much water - so err on the dry side. In winter keep it very dry and cool if possible, if you can't provide cool conditions then a little water once a month or so.

They need good light but some protection from the hot afternoon sun. A position with morning sun would be ideal.
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

Lenny doesn't need to be cool and dry in winter. In fact keeping it active during winter will help to prevent splitting. However, many people will not have sufficient light for it to grow well during winter, so cool and dry is second best. Warm and wet in the dark is last best :)
--ian