Ariocarpus Fissuratus surprise seed pod

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
widea

Ariocarpus Fissuratus surprise seed pod

Post by widea »

I have this Ariocarpus Fissuratus for a few months now and suddenly it has a seed pod.
I did not notice any flowers. Does it always take some time to develop a seed pod?
Aiko

Re: Ariocarpus Fissuratus surprise seed pod

Post by Aiko »

widea wrote:I have this Ariocarpus Fissuratus for a few months now and suddenly it has a seed pod.
I did not notice any flowers. Does it always take some time to develop a seed pod?
Yes, about a year. It is a result from your plant flowering the previous autumn, probably between September and November when it flowered and got pollinated.

It is a nice Ariocarpus fissuratus. But I guess it is a hybrid?
widea

Post by widea »

Thank you for the information.
I do not think it is a hybrid. On the label it says 'Ariocarpus Fissuratus San Luis Potossii'.

Regards,

Cor
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That's not a valid name, but by googling that I came up with Ariocarpus fissuratus subs. bravoanus, (syn. Ariocarpus bravoanus) a rare species found in a few small areas in the Mexican state of San Luis Potosi - http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _bravoanus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not totally sure that's what it is, but it does look possible.
Spence :mrgreen:
widea

Post by widea »

It looks like it. My only Ariocarpus and perhaps rare... I choose the right one!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

San Luis Potosi, Mexico is the locality for the plant. Strictly speaking according to the "Botanical Code of Nomenclature" we should write the names of plants in italics to avoid such confusion with the habitat if quoted. The generic name should be capitalised and all names of specific rank and below rendered with a small letter as "Ariocarpus fissuratus San Luis Potosi", but we seldom can be bothered.

Check it up against the descriptions here:-

http://www.living-rocks.com/species.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can obtain most of the Ariocarpus species as seedling plants in the UK including bravoanus and hintonii. The hard one to find is scaphirostris (scapharostrus that was) although it was described in 1930 long before bravoanus etc.
iann

Post by iann »

A. fissuratus is not found in SLP. A. bravoanus (and its now ssp hintonii) are found in SLP. This one looks like ssp hintonii. 6cm is a mature plant and they don't get a lot bigger. A. fissuratus is a little bigger.

A. scaphirostris is hard to find? Oh my, now I'll probably kill all mine :(
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A scaphirostris is obviously hard to find in the UK since you are hogging them all Ian! :D

The only one I ever dropped across I am not sure is correctly named since it has an areole half way down one tubercle. I suspect it may have been grown from hybridised seed as some people take no precautions to avoid open pollination. However there were two nice mature plants in Oxford Branch, BCSS Show.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ARIOCA ... ostrus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kakteensammlung-holzheu.de/e ... strus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;