Rebirth (I hope) of an old Schlumbergera x buckleyi

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fanaticactus

Rebirth (I hope) of an old Schlumbergera x buckleyi

Post by fanaticactus »

My 30+ year old true "Christmas Cactus" has been getting sicker and sicker for about 3 years. When I bought it at a local tag sale, it was actually quite healthy. It may have lived its life indoors all year because it did not seem to like its exposure to fresh air during the summer on my back porch after I got it. I gave it new soil and treated it the way I've always treated Christmas cacti, but it went downhill a bit each year, dropping large segments, getting a sizable mealybug infestation and showing little growth. I managed to wipe out the mealies, but they may have weakened it too much. Last winter it only had two small flowers. Then my attention was called to a great article entitled "Rescue of a Schlumbergera in danger". Here's the link: http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_sauve ... era_00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I followed each step until I was able to unpot it, examine the roots (they only took up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the larger original pot) and cut away all dead ones, and finally repot it in a richer, well-drained soil. It doesn't look much better now (it's only been three weeks or so), but I notice some tiny new leaf growths at the end of several branches. I had the presence of mind to snap some photos in hopes of documenting its recovery.
DSC04399.JPG
DSC04399.JPG (168.82 KiB) Viewed 852 times
DSC04400.JPG
DSC04400.JPG (93.92 KiB) Viewed 852 times
DSC04401.JPG
DSC04401.JPG (74.78 KiB) Viewed 852 times
DSC04402.JPG
DSC04402.JPG (136.31 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
tomo

Re: Rebirth (I hope) of an old Schlumbergera x buckleyi

Post by tomo »

Your Christmas cactus looks good, the new growth is most encouraging!

I bought a small "rescue" Christmas cactus for 50 cents at a garage sale a couple of months ago. I repotted it, and for the next 2 months, it looked so bad I didn't think it was going to make it. Then, about three weeks ago, I noticed some new growth on one of the stems, and now the whole thing has perked up and has new leaves!

Thanks also for the link to "Rescue of a Schlumbergera in danger" article, that was amazing! Wow, I've never seen one that size before, what a great story, and a happy ending too.

Cheers to rescuing Christmas cacti! :D
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

tomo wrote:Your Christmas cactus looks good, the new growth is most encouraging!

I bought a small "rescue" Christmas cactus for 50 cents at a garage sale a couple of months ago. I repotted it, and for the next 2 months, it looked so bad I didn't think it was going to make it. Then, about three weeks ago, I noticed some new growth on one of the stems, and now the whole thing has perked up and has new leaves!

Thanks also for the link to "Rescue of a Schlumbergera in danger" article, that was amazing! Wow, I've never seen one that size before, what a great story, and a happy ending too.

Cheers to rescuing Christmas cacti! :D
Yes, it definitely was a fine article, and that's what prompted me take this drastic route with mine. As you can see, it was really very unsightly and almost at the point of certain death.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I wanted to revive this post from July as there has been some encouraging new growth over the summer. To save you from scrolling back, here are two photos of the Christmas Cactus on the day it was taken from its pot and replanted.
DSC04399.JPG
DSC04399.JPG (168.82 KiB) Viewed 758 times
DSC04402.JPG
DSC04402.JPG (136.31 KiB) Viewed 758 times
It now looks like this:
DSC04542.JPG
DSC04542.JPG (100.66 KiB) Viewed 758 times
DSC04543.JPG
DSC04543.JPG (56.79 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Obviously it's not going to flower this year but I hope I'll have a much healthier and fuller Christmas Cactus in my collection by this time next year. :D