rebutia albipilosa--normal growth or etiolated?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
tomo

rebutia albipilosa--normal growth or etiolated?

Post by tomo »

As most of you know, I'm a beginner, and I'm currently dealing with a few plants that are etiolated (M. luethyi, M. duwei, and my anacampseros rufescens 'Sunrise'...) Problem is, I thought those plants were "healthy" because they were growing, but turns out they were etiolated, so now I'm not sure what's healthy growth or etiolated growth. :-k

Here's my rebutia albipilosa--how does it look? (I was tickled pink when it bloomed a few months ago.) :D I'm getting ready to relocate the ones mentioned above to a sunny spot and I'm trying to decide if I need to include this guy too.

Also how many hours/days do I need to gradually adjust the cacti before I put them in their new sunny spot? Thanks.
Attachments
rebutia albipilosa June 2015.jpg
rebutia albipilosa June 2015.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
iann

Re: rebutia albipilosa--normal growth or etiolated?

Post by iann »

Somewhat etiolated. Not horrible, but this is a plant that isn't normally taller then it is wide, so clearly not quite right. Could be worse though.
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Rebutia albipilosa grown in good light on top shelf of greenhouse under polythene bubble wrap greenhouse insulation left up all year.

First year I obtained it.
albipilosa.jpg
albipilosa.jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Flowering second year.
A.-albipilosa.jpg
A.-albipilosa.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the replies. Somewhat etiolated, but could be worse, good to know. Maybe I will think about moving him to a brighter spot.

Dave, your photos of it in bloom are breath-taking! Gorgeous! :D
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

It looks like you are growing it in the same place as that Anacampseros. I think that location is going to be too dark for virtually any succulent, possibly even Haworthias and Gasterias.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
tomo

Post by tomo »

You're right, it is the same location. I think I'm going to have to move them to a brighter spot, and I've found a corner that gets several hours of morning light but is still somewhat protected from our nearly daily summer rain storms. I'm currently putting them in the sunlight for a couple of hours each day and hope to move them to their new location in about a week or two.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone! :)