P. turcekiana propogation? When and how to remove?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
graffiti

P. turcekiana propogation? When and how to remove?

Post by graffiti »

Hi guys. You all pointed me in the right direction for my Neoporeria watering, so maybe you can give me advice on one of my older specimens.

I have a Perodia turcekiana (Notocactus turcekianus) that has been in the collection for about 8 years now. The first time it flowered, if I recall correctly, instead of creating a fruit, it created a baby. At least I think that's how it worked. Honestly, I don't really remember.

Anyhow, here's an image of the little one.

I'm wondering if it's safe to remove and plant, and if so, the best way to make sure the baby does well and the parent does not scar horribly. For size reference, that's an 8" pot it's sitting in. I repotted it about a month and a half ago, so that's another concern, I don't want to stress the plant right after it got its world turned upside down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
DaveW

Re: P. turcekiana propogation? When and how to remove?

Post by DaveW »

Why do you want to remove the offset rather than grow a multi headed plant? Usually single headed plants will often start to offset when they get unusually large, and that's a fairly large plant for the species. The name is Notocactus turecekianus if placed in Notocactus, and Parodia turecekiana if placed in Parodia, the specific ending either a or us follows that of the genus. Removing an offset usually leaves some form of scar. Usually it's a flower that occasionally turns into an offset rather than a fruit.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/NOTOCA ... kianus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the past multi-headed plants used to cost more from dealers, probably still do on EBAY?
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

The reason I ask is that I was told by somebody at one point that the offshoot could weaken the parent plant. I've never been able to find a pic of a mature P. turcekiana so I had no idea that it could produce multiple heads.

If photos on the internet are any indication, it seems as though this is a relatively rare specimen in collections. I suppose the smart money is on leaving it alone and seeing what happens.
iann

Post by iann »

No, it will be fine with the offset on. If you really really hate it, it can be removed and rooted, but there's no need if you don't want to. In time, you might be surprised to notice it is suddenly at soil level. The base of these globular cacti is continually shrinking as the top grows, otherwise they'd be columnars.

It isn't particularly uncommon, just not particularly noteworthy or fashionable at the moment.
--ian
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Okay, I guess I'll leave it as is.

This seems like a good plant for me, as I, too, am not particularly noteworthy nor fashionable.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The only offsets you really need to remove are not from plants on their own roots, but from the stock of grafted plants as their growth will take the nourishment away from the scion. See picture of basal and apical offsets on stock at bottom of link. If these are not removed they can eventually take over growth at the expense of the grafted scion:-

http://www.420genetics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7george

Post by 7george »

Keep it this way! Imagine how it will look like when starts blooming from all possible heads. :D
My Parodia mammulosa budding
My Parodia mammulosa budding
Parodia_mammulosa_5.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Found another photo.
My Parodia mammulosa 2009
My Parodia mammulosa 2009
Parodia_mammulosa_3.jpg (101.95 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Last edited by 7george on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Good lord, sir. I feel lucky when I get A flower from mine. I'm excited that my Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz' has one open flower now and another that will open in a few days.

Seeing the photos around this forum make me realize that my cacti are surviving, certainly not thriving.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes - all the cacti in the Parodia mammulosa complex are massive flower producers, if you're getting one flower at a time something's not quite right. In my experience, they bloom best when a little bit pot bound, note that 7george's plants are more tightly potted than yours. Don't be in a hurry to repot, wait until it's really crying for more space.
Spence :mrgreen: