rooting a cactus pad

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jmoney

rooting a cactus pad

Post by jmoney »

When rooting a cactus pad should I lay it down on the soil or stick the end in the soil so it stands upright?

This is how I have it now and I'm just trying to be sure that I'm doing it right.
IMG_20150607_153557.jpg
IMG_20150607_153557.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
Ron43

Re: rooting a cactus pad

Post by Ron43 »

I always lay the pad down flat and it will shoot roots all over the bottom and new growth from several points on the top side.
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Is that just your preferred method or will it work either way?

Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Your Opuntia pad will develop roots either way, they are one of the easiest cacti to root. You can also just rest the base on a rooting medium and then you can see the rooting process start. The mistake that inexperienced people make is not letting the cut end properly dry out and callous over. This often leads to the cutting rotting. If this should happen to you, by cutting the rotten base away to clean tissue and drying the cut off thoroughly, you can get a 2nd chance at success.

Steve
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Onzuka wrote:Your Opuntia pad will develop roots either way, they are one of the easiest cacti to root. You can also just rest the base on a rooting medium and then you can see the rooting process start. The mistake that inexperienced people make is not letting the cut end properly dry out and callous over. This often leads to the cutting rotting. If this should happen to you, by cutting the rotten base away to clean tissue and drying the cut off thoroughly, you can get a 2nd chance at success.

Steve
Thanks! I let this pad sit out for a week before plopping it into the soil. Hopefully that was long enough! The cut section was pretty small so I think it's good. We will have to wait and see. Is it bad for the cactus to check and see if it had began rooting yet (pulling it out of the soil)?

Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Not really, and I guess its something we all do. It will feel firm in the pot when its rooted, at the moment it is probably a bit wobbly.

Steve
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

jmoney wrote:Is that just your preferred method or will it work either way?
I prefer this way for 2 reasons. One, less chance of rotting and two, after the new roots and shoots develop I can cut the pad into sections and have several new plants.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you just want one, though, rooting it upright is the way to go - you get one nice big start instead of several smaller ones. Avoid rot by not watering it until it has roots, water very sparingly until it has a good root system.

If it was cut off at the joint, one week of drying should be plenty. Not only is it a small cut surface, but it's a different kind of tissue which is adapted to quick healing - Opuntia pads naturally tend to break off at the joints, the detached pieces becoming new plants.
Spence :mrgreen: