Flower buds echinopsis hybrid

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
MadridPeter

Flower buds echinopsis hybrid

Post by MadridPeter »

Hello all! I have an echinopsis hybrid mature plant that had 5 flowers that bloomed when I first got it about 3 months ago but now it develops buds that never develop or bloom! Now I did unpot it about 3 weeks ago as I read about peat sealed roots and so found its roots were encased so I took off the peat..repotted it and as it had about 30 offsets I stripped most off ..since then it has about 4 new flower buds but as before I still have no blooms or any advance on a bud stage..are there any tricks or tips to help this hybrid along? I suppose many offsets and frozen flower buds happen more to hybrids
Attachments
Healthy but stubborn flowers
Healthy but stubborn flowers
image.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
Benyellow

Re: Flower buds echinopsis hybrid

Post by Benyellow »

well from what i know try to give it more sunlight gradually, it needs energy to develop the flowers.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Yeah it gets 4-5 hours of sun each day but I think the problem is the constant heat here in Madrid and the plant has gone into summer hibernation (don't think it's growing either) ..min temperature here is 22/23 c and that's at 6am..I might try night spraying with water to help..heat should break next month with lower night temperature..most of my cacti are pretty unhappy with this heat but most of all their owner!!
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Don't fret. Sometimes Echinopsis like this will make furry little buds that simply don't mature. I don't think it's environmental--sometimes a plant will do this, while neighboring plants flower like mad.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks Barry I hope you are right ! I will give it time..next year could be better and cooler I hope
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Try a lot of sun, plenty of water, a lot of fertilizer. (Maybe next year)

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks KW I think it will be better next year for this plant (it had 6 flowers in spring this year but no more) and I have other cacti that flower seasonally so I will try to give them all a good winter rest and see what happens next year ..my rebutia, arachnacantha, parodia and pygmaeocereus had many flowers and I have a few immature echinocereus ..next year will be better ..there is still time this year because the good weather continues here until October
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Since it flowered, I find a dry period and then water will get some hybrids to bloom again along with heat and sun. At least for me it seems to work. Now that we are in the dog days of summer, I don't expect to get anymore flowers until next season. :D
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks very much that is a tip I will try out...going on holidays so the hybrid will be dry for 3 weeks if I don't manage to get someone in to help me out and water while I am away