Packing peanuts

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
chancey84

Packing peanuts

Post by chancey84 »

Howdy, I have recently repotted some cacti that I bought from a nursery here in Houston. Several of the plants had styrofoam packing peanuts in the pots and soil that I purchased them in. I have read that a good cacti soil is light and airy that drains well. It seems to me like packing peanuts would be a good option for making a cacti soil light and airy. Anybody experimented with this? Good/Bad results? Thx
adetheproducer

Re: Packing peanuts

Post by adetheproducer »

I have seem polystyrene balls used like that but these packing peanuts are usually (these days, they used to be polystyrene) biodegradable, they are made quite like watsits or puffy crisps. I think there is a risk they would break down.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I suppose Perlite would be a similar material, but produced from natural expanded rock. The main problem with these puffed up materials is they do tend to float, particularly if you occasionally submerge the pot in water to ensure the potting soil gets completely wet.

http://www.schundler.com/polystyrene.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many artificial ingredients are now being introduced into commercial potting soils. Also obviously for hydroponics an entirely artificial substrate is often used.
iann

Post by iann »

Is it actually the packing peanuts? Expanded polystyrene? How big? Nothing wrong with it, but a surprising thing to find from a nursery. I've used them to pack out the bottom of very large pots (not succulents) to reduce weight, but I wouldn't want them mixed into the general soil.
--ian
chancey84

Post by chancey84 »

They were similar to these. I don't have any of the exact ones from the pots from the nursery. When I repotted a few had roots that were growing through and around almost like they were holding them into the base of the root system.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's cheap filler. If it's polystyrene, it doesn't absorb moisture, doesn't really become part of the soil, it just takes up space.
Spence :mrgreen: