Gypsum/Limestone

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
iann

Re: Gypsum/Limestone

Post by iann »

Alabaster is a confusing name. It can be used for a hard gypsum or for a type of shiny white limestone. Both look very similar. My dirty grey limestone has a distinctive smell when crushed, but I think it is down to impurities trapped in the rock rather than the rock itself.

I suspect those rock fragments really are limestone. If they fizz in vinegar then that is pretty good confirmation.

Is your granite the kind that packs down to a hard almost waterproof walkway? Or just a loose gravel topping? If it is like the decomposed granite that is used for paving in the US, the finest material should be removed before it goes into a pot. You're looking for a soil consistency with enough coarse material to maintain small air gaps, not to fill up all the gaps between the coarse material with finer material.
--ian
kristian_Fossmo

Re: Gypsum/Limestone

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

It is the toppdressing stuff, I removed all things that´s light enough and suspends in flowing water. Thanks for input! Learning alot lurking around here :)
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906