Lithops: underwatered or overwatered?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
bluejay

Lithops: underwatered or overwatered?

Post by bluejay »

I bought these two Lithop plants last summer at a nursery in California. Both plants were flowering at the time (August). I left them in the original pots and potting mix. They have been kept in a southern bay window in my home in New York state. I have watered them once a week, about a tablespoon of water. The pots have plenty of drainage. About a month or so ago they started showing wrinkles and softening slightly. I don't know if I am overwatering or underwatering them. The soil is bone-dry and there is no sign of rot. Can anyone give me advice? Thank you!
Joyce
Attachments
lithops 1.jpg
lithops 1.jpg (51.51 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
lithops 2.jpg
lithops 2.jpg (72.84 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
lithops 3.jpg
lithops 3.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
lithops 4.jpg
lithops 4.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
iann

Re: Lithops: underwatered or overwatered?

Post by iann »

Overwatering. Obviously, since you can't underwater a Lithops :lol: They look like they were "generously" treated last year (although a teaspoon every week isn't the way I'd have done it) but they look basically OK.

Right now the old leaves are starting to dry up. Inside, new leaves should be expanding and they need to get out into the light. Wait until that happens before you give them any more water. If it doesn't happen at all by about May, you might have to give up and stick with what you have for another year, but they'll look pretty ratty because the leaves aren't designed to last more than 12 months.
xredhead-0408.jpg
xredhead-0408.jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 6707 times
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I'd try a repot into some nice course soil mix too after the leaves have shriveled up and died, the old soil isn't lithop friendly if you want them to survive for long :) Goodluck hun
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Thank you both for your help. iann, what is a better way to water them? misting? Any advice would be appreciated.

I haven't given either plant more water, but they continue to shrivel. It is SO hard to resist giving them water, when I know the soil has no moisture in it. It is so hard watching what seems to be a very slow-motion death and feeling ignorant and helpless about what to do.

KittiKAT (and anyone else), what is the best type of soil mix to use? Mine seem to be in some sort of a very fine, almost peaty type of soil. Do I just put the soil/roots intact into a bigger pot with new soil around it?
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Anything course, pure pumice works well, I use a mix of pumice, turface, lava rock. By its dependent on your area and weather etc etc...
The less peaty type soil u use the better, resist watering they will look quite dead before the skin changes completely and sheds totally off, then when the skin is a papery shell then you can water it don't give it to much water or it'll burst open cause they will be very dehydrated at this point they will soak everything they can get.

I'd suggest remove as much of the old soil as you can from the plants if you accidentally break off some of the finer roots don't worry as long as their taproot stays in tack you should be fine. Use water if you must break down the hard clump of peat it is planted in originally, but let the plants roots dry unpotted for a few hours before repotting them
iann

Post by iann »

Lithops usually live in dense very rocky soil, Sometimes quite heavy clay soils, but don't try this at home. They don't grow in peat. It isn't impossible but you're making trouble for yourself by trying it. Aim for a loam with sufficient drainage not be stay waterlogged in a pot, which probably means 2/3 or 3/4 rocks. Rocks being about 1/8" :) Use sufficient loam to fill most but not all of the gaps between the rocky particles. A good guide is that it should not be easy to compress the soil mix, but a Lithops in growth will be able to bind the soil into a pot shape with its fine feeder roots.

P.S. I haven't watered my Lithops yet. It has been a fairly dull spring so far and I expect it will be several weeks yet, although I like to get some water on by May whether they're ready or not.
--ian
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

KittiKAT and ian,

Thank you for the advice about what kind of soil to use. I will refrain from giving them any water. (I confess I weakened and misted them both this weekend before receiving your advice.)

Should I repot them now, or wait until they've grown new "leaves"?

Best regards,

Joyce
iann

Post by iann »

You can repot now. Definitely don't water for a couple of weeks afterwards, but since you weren't going to anyway nothing is lost :)
--ian