Beginners mistake quadfecta--golden barrel help please!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
greenknight

Re: Beginners mistake quadfecta--golden barrel help please!

Post by greenknight »

Whatever the reason it starts, once they develop a curve in the stem like that one you may not be able to get it to straighten up. Won't hurt to try, though.
Spence :mrgreen:
tomo

Post by tomo »

thanks everyone, glad to know that it can't hurt to plant it straight (even though it might not stay that way). :)

greenknight, that's really interesting about the varying weather patterns, I had no idea! There are times when no humidity sounds VERY nice, lol.

DaveW, that's fascinating about that one type of cacti using its wool covered crown and aligning its body underneath it. Even to the point where it won't cast shadows--and that picture, wow! Plants certainly are amazing!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

The first link davew i can't believe how many of the same kinda cacti are all in one place thoe it makes sence cause the seeds Gatta go somewhere LOL! U always have the best info/articles, u ever think about doing a cactiguide.com thread of the latest articles and information u find/read on the web i think it would be a very popular thread if you did and be a very good information source with good links to look back on.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I recently pruned over 100 dead links from my Favourites list KittieKat, and still have more than that left. Not all are cactus though, many are for photography. Could post some if there is any interest, but you can usually find the answer to most questions if you learn how to "Google".

Is this the type of thing you mean?

http://cinerea.nomaki.jp/nn/i_neoc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://bonap.net/NAPA/Genus/Traditional/County" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://home.arcor.de/jsaul/cacti/patagonia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus_co/New_Uebelmannia.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cactushorridus/sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

But on here it would be great to find the best links right at the click of a link you've supplied cause you do soo much research and learn about soo many things that would help a lot of people and you always know exactly what to say and how to break everything down so simple with quotes And links and photos, you are like a complete cacti/succulent (and assuming photographer..lol) encyclopedia and almanac . I'm always I'm aww of yr responses and id love to..heck i think alot of people would love to see what you could compile into a blogthat would be useful to not only us but cvisitors on the site aswell. I don't think ur giving yourself enough credit i wouldn't search thru Google to find the perfect links that would explain all the things id want to know but you do and you enjoy sharing it with everyone and you are a perfect Person for such a thing! I mean if you'd want to of course.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

And not just plant species and stuff like that, you have links (I'm almost positive) for repotting, soil mixes, interesting facts about different plants and species amongst other things people use and explore thru your replies.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I suppose if we set up a special thread there is nothing to stop anybody posting interesting links they find.

I often save links in other languages because they contain excellent pictures of our plants and Latin botanical names are the same in any language. These days you can usually use an online translator (clicking the right button on the mouse often brings up a menu containing it). However these translators are not perfect but you can get the general meaning of it.

For instance Austrocactus, plants not too often seen (2 pages):-

http://www.kkplzen.eu/index.php/forum/5 ... strocactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or Pterocactus:-

http://www.pterocactus.de/pteroaraucanus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some good habitat pictures here, just click on the "Mexico, Chile, Peru" etc boxes at the top of the link:-

http://www.kaktusymeksyku.pl/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are those type of links of any interest?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote:Are those type of links of any interest?
We already have something for this on the forum called Shared Content. Last time anyone posted on it was Darryl Craig (AKA CoronaCactus) way, way, way back on Feb. 11, 2011. A badly under-utilized resource, and I wonder if it's because people either forget or don't even notice that this subforum is there. I sure didn't! :oops: So how about it, Dave? You post so many interesting links, and you'd be a great "point man" for reviving activity on Shared Content. If you do, then hopefully others will follow. :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Probably could do with a more attractive title in that case Steve, something like "Interesting Links". The BCSS Forum has one under the "Reference" heading and that does not get posted on much either, presumably names like "Shared Content" and "Reference" does not immediately attract many viewers? I must admit I had never even looked at "Shared Content" until you mentioned it.-

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewforum.php?f=38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote:Probably could do with a more attractive title in that case Steve, something like "Interesting Links". The BCSS Forum has one under the "Reference" heading and that does not get posted on much either, presumably names like "Shared Content" and "Reference" does not immediately attract many viewers? I must admit I had never even looked at "Shared Content" until you mentioned it.-
I agree about the title -- first impressions can be deal-breakers if they don't attract sufficient interest for what we're trying to do. "Interesting links" sounds better, although there could be something more eye-grabbing than that. I'll think on this and see if I can come up with a few ideas I'll pass along to Daiv. If he likes whatever I suggest, then hopefully those interesting links will get more coverage on the forum.

Tomo -- I'll bet you had no idea where the thread you started would lead! :lol:
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

You should call it "need to know links" or something that stands out but shows people its stuff that their actually interested in/ or would have interest in viewing. Still think ur the best person for the job :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

We seem to have a bit of duplication at present since we have "Shared Content" and "Books & References" already. It would be more logical to me to have just "Books" as one heading with references (another name for links) moved to "Shared References" but with a more come and read me name?

Interesting links we find whilst browsing are what we should all be posting in for others. So do we just need to just paste them in at random, or would it be better under sub headings like "Cultivation", "Classification, "Photography" etc?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Okay, let's see if I get any votes for this idea -- change "Shared Content" to "Must-see links from around the world". Sounds good, or too grandiose? By the way, I just looked at the Books and References forum -- a lot of posts and way more activity than Shared Content, so with a catchier title IMO both forums should be merged together.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes I suppose we could start different sub-threads within it for Books, Cultivation, Classification, Photography etc so all those on a similar subject are lumped together and anybody can keep adding to them. No reason not to post links in answer to questions in other places, but also posting them in the links forum would save people searching through dozens of half remembered posts elsewhere to find a link they remembered being posted somewhere in the past?
tomo

Post by tomo »

Steve Johnson wrote:Tomo -- I'll bet you had no idea where the thread you started would lead! :lol:
LOL I'm glad it helped prompt this interesting discussion! :lol:

Actually, sort of along those lines, I was wondering if there was something like a "Beginners Start Here" Thread. (Or maybe there is and I missed it? :oops: ) I know it's hard to generalize advice with so many different types of cacti out there, but maybe a thread that lists common mistakes beginners make (like everything I listed in my first post in this thread! lol :lol: ) like using tap water, wrong soil, over-watering, over-potting, etc. etc. Sort of a good place for newbies like me to learn some of the basic dos and don'ts of cacti care all in one location.

Also, I have an update on my golden barrel!
I repotted it and it's looking quite nice, I'll have to post a photo this weekend. :D