What to do next?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
daffe

What to do next?

Post by daffe »

Hei, this is my San Pedros, they are 8-10mm now and 1,5 months old. I still have them under plastic dome to have high humidity. When should i remove the dome? Should i start to give them some fertilizer? Should i repot them? How often should they have water?
Attachments
2015-02-01 12.25.48.jpg
2015-02-01 12.25.48.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
iann

Re: What to do next?

Post by iann »

Looks like you removed the dome already? I wouldn't at six weeks, but these are fast-growing columnars and it won't hurt them too much.
--ian
daffe

Post by daffe »

I had to remove to take picture :-)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

No rush about fertilizing unless you used a pure mineral mix that contains no nutrients at all, in which case they should be watered with a very dilute fertilizer solution. If the mix contains some nutrients, fertilize next year. Don't repot them until they've filled those cells with roots.
Last edited by greenknight on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spence :mrgreen:
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Typically I gradually remove my seedlings from humidity around the three to four month mark.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

cefalophone wrote:Typically I gradually remove my seedlings from humidity around the three to four month mark.
Yes, that's about average. These are a very fast-growing species, so you can do it on the early side.
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

daffe wrote:I had to remove to take picture :-)
Asking for trouble.
--ian
daffe

Post by daffe »

iann wrote:
daffe wrote:I had to remove to take picture :-)
Asking for trouble.
i think its ok, i have removed the lid many times to look at them so i dont think that would be a problem, they look fine i think.
iann

Post by iann »

Suit yourself. You come asking advice from people who've actually grown cactus seedlings before, but you don't have to take it ...
--ian
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I would agree, if you have already opened and closed the lid it wont make much difference now. Looking at the size of the seedlings you could even take off the cover completely. Once I have germinated the seedlings I now uncover pretty quickly, I find I get far more survivors that way with our damp welsh weather just make sure the soil does not completely dry out between waterings and maybe use a lamp for extra heat/light. Everyone's method of seedling production is different and don't worry that what you are doing is different to what others do there are no laws to this just do what works. There are a lot of people who subscribe to the baggy method and will defend it to the core but no one covers them in plastic bags in the wild. I just use a propagator tray in my home made light box to start germination, once they have germinated and grown a little I remove the plastic cover. I find I can manage the moisture levels better that way watering more if needed or leaving them dry if not. Wait until they are bigger before re-potting. The quick growing echinopsis like these can take more organic and damp soils in the short term but once they are say the size of your finger re-pot to a much more freely draining soil mix with crushed rocks, grit, stones making up say 80% of the mix. The grit and stones make the roots stronger which is what you will really be aiming for.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
7george

Post by 7george »

There are a lot of people who subscribe to the baggy method and will defend it to the core but no one covers them in plastic bags in the wild.
The surviving rate in the wild is less than 1% generally, but we would like to get much more. I agree that natural survivors are the strongest ones. I open my wet bags with seedlings gradually (first just unsealing it, after a week cutting top plastic part and so on...) and even this way they usually get stressed and stop growing for a month until been adapted. But my home atmosphere is extremely dry.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
daffe

Post by daffe »

iann wrote:Suit yourself. You come asking advice from people who've actually grown cactus seedlings before, but you don't have to take it ...
sorry for stepping on your toes. BUT, if the lid is removed and replaced in lets say 1 min. how could that affect the cactus at all? Give me a good explanation please. Its not like the cactus dry up as soon the humidity is down a min ot two when the lid is off, when its back in place the humidity is high again.
daffe

Post by daffe »

adetheproducer wrote:I would agree, if you have already opened and closed the lid it wont make much difference now. Looking at the size of the seedlings you could even take off the cover completely. Once I have germinated the seedlings I now uncover pretty quickly, I find I get far more survivors that way with our damp welsh weather just make sure the soil does not completely dry out between waterings and maybe use a lamp for extra heat/light. Everyone's method of seedling production is different and don't worry that what you are doing is different to what others do there are no laws to this just do what works. There are a lot of people who subscribe to the baggy method and will defend it to the core but no one covers them in plastic bags in the wild. I just use a propagator tray in my home made light box to start germination, once they have germinated and grown a little I remove the plastic cover. I find I can manage the moisture levels better that way watering more if needed or leaving them dry if not. Wait until they are bigger before re-potting. The quick growing echinopsis like these can take more organic and damp soils in the short term but once they are say the size of your finger re-pot to a much more freely draining soil mix with crushed rocks, grit, stones making up say 80% of the mix. The grit and stones make the roots stronger which is what you will really be aiming for.
Thanx :-)
When do you give them nutrients? I have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chempak-Cactus- ... B004KQ4AF6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The soil they are in are sterilized soil made for cactus and i have some sand and perlite in it.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Most will make they're own nutrients as far as organic requirements are concerned, the mineral nutrients are the ones cacti really need and they will extract those directly from the minerals in the soil mix. Have a look at the xerophylia.ro website, in particular the issue called the stone eaters. Most of my cacti do not have any actual dirt except for a few echinocereus and gymnocalyciums, maybe a few more but the vast majority are grown in pure crushed stones, chippings and grit mixtures some with clay included so mainly mineral rather than organic materials. A lot of cacti are like mosses and can happily grown without organic soil straight on rocks even. They are not like other plants and have adapted to live in poor soils with little nutrients, there are even arguments they are able to fix nitrogen potentially with symbiotic fungi/bacteria which it is know they already do to dissolve minerals directly from dry stone. I have some year old epithilantha seedlings which have never seen dirt or fertilizers just grown in pure crushed limestone, sandstone and granite mixture and given only rain water which are thriving and growing steadily.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
daffe

Post by daffe »

adetheproducer wrote:Most will make they're own nutrients as far as organic requirements are concerned, the mineral nutrients are the ones cacti really need and they will extract those directly from the minerals in the soil mix. Have a look at the xerophylia.ro website, in particular the issue called the stone eaters. Most of my cacti do not have any actual dirt except for a few echinocereus and gymnocalyciums, maybe a few more but the vast majority are grown in pure crushed stones, chippings and grit mixtures some with clay included so mainly mineral rather than organic materials. A lot of cacti are like mosses and can happily grown without organic soil straight on rocks even. They are not like other plants and have adapted to live in poor soils with little nutrients, there are even arguments they are able to fix nitrogen potentially with symbiotic fungi/bacteria which it is know they already do to dissolve minerals directly from dry stone. I have some year old epithilantha seedlings which have never seen dirt or fertilizers just grown in pure crushed limestone, sandstone and granite mixture and given only rain water which are thriving and growing steadily.
Thanx, interesting reading
Its http://xerophilia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;-)