Help! Can I repot during the winter?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
distortedperception

Help! Can I repot during the winter?

Post by distortedperception »

Hi folks!

I'm brand new to the world of cacti cultivation. I just bought this gorgeous little creature yesterday, but it came in a mason jar with no drainage whatsoever. After doing some reading, I'm seeing that this is a big ol' no-no, but I'm hesitant to repot it during its winter dormancy phase without some feedback first. Also, to add in, I live in Arizona, so it's not all that cold here. There are also pieces that naturally fell off that I want to attempt to transplant, but I'm wondering if because it's winter if that would be a fool's errand. I've attached some photos as well, and if anyone can ID it that would be wonderful!

M.A.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.18 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
leland

Re: Help! Can I repot during the winter?

Post by leland »

No problem, just don't water until it warms up a little. You are correct to not leave it in a container without drainage holes.

When I lived in the desert I pretty much skipped watering outdoor cactus in December and January. Most don't grow in the cold and it's not worth risking root rot.
distortedperception

Would you happen to know if it's viable to try to transplant those pieces at this time? Thanks for the reply!
luigonz

Post by luigonz »

Yes I would put the little pups that fell of into another pot..they root pretty easily. I think you can water once the weather warms up a bit. I cant really tell from the picture but you might want to add a little more grit/non-organic to your potting mix. this will help prevent rot.
'The skeletons of the plants are for me as important as the flowers.'
instagram: @oakbeard
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Afraid the red spines are dye though, a bit of deception to sell the plants, the yellow spines are it's natural colour.

See:-

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=34799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
distortedperception

Thank you all for the replies! And those jerks... I suppose time will tell. Now looking at them, it does seem like a really unnatural color.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There are cacti that have spines nearly that color - that's not one of them, though.
Spence :mrgreen: